Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tal'Dorei - Critical Role Fan Map

Guild Apprentice

Wip Tal'Dorei - Critical Role Fan Map

A WIP fan map of the Continent of Tal'Dorei from the show Critical Role. Based on the wonderful world created by Matthew Mercer.
    Still a bit of work to do on roads and such, and not sure if I'm going to color it further or leave it primarily brown and blue.

Happy for feedback and advice.

TaldoreiWIP_JL.png

The map was created in GIMP.
    I used brushes created by Daphne Arcadius (http://starraven.deviantart.com/) found at the links below.
    http://starraven.deviantart.com/art/...shes-198264358
    http://starraven.deviantart.com/art/...rush-153063338

I love Critical Role! Awesome show.

Do we know how accurate this map is? I never saw a map in the show. Did Matt ever share his notes/sketches of the world and/or continent via twitter (because i definitely would have missed that, not a twitter user)?

Anyway, i like the overall feel of your map. starraven's brushes are classics. They give a nice fantasy-map feel, imo.

Btw, at Gen Con it was announced that Green Ronin will do official DnD 5e books for Exandria! The first one will be of Tal'Dorei. So i guess we will get an official version of the map soon-ish (they said publication date of the first book will be in spring 2017).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

This is really nice map, the type is handled really well, although some of the text is kerned a little too tight. I like the simple color palette, but maybe just a little variation in the landmass (could be just darker/lighter not another color?) Possibly a shadow on one side of the river, to show a slight elevation change or simulates the bank of the river - just like you handled the inner glow of the land mass which looks great. Look forward to seeing this completed, Nice Job!

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Eilathen, the map is based on one released by Matt on twitter: https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/st...71407208747008
    And yes I had heard about the setting book. Would love to see a map with more detail/locations for the setting.

snodsy, I like you'r idea on the shadows. I'll see how I go with it.

Guild Apprentice

Added in the major roads, and have also been playing around with both shadowed and colored options.

Still not sure what I like between the shadowed, a hint of color, and more obvious color?

TaldoreiWIP_JL.jpg TaldoreiWIPColor_JL.jpg TaldoreiWIPColor2_JL.jpg

Guild Expert

I like them all, it's a nice map. I find it difficult to choose winch one looks best, but I think I like the one with more colour. The only thing with the darker one is I think it would look better if the mountains were coloured differently, I find they kind of fade away in the lower half where the green is more prominent. The hand drawn monochrome mountains look good on the neutral version, but I think some colour, or highlights even would help them stand out more on the other two maps... All in all, good job, it's a hard choice as all three versions look really good.

Looking good so far jslaw06. I think I personally prefer the more saturated colored version.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'll go for the middle version, mostly because of what kacey mentions in comment above. Although I like the third version, I feel the trees and mountains in the lower area lose focus with the stronger green colour, and the middle version is a happy compromise. However, if you can boost the colour of the linework, then I'd be interested to see that with the saturated green background.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I really like the 'shadowed' version which I prefer at this point. The 'obvious color' version is great to, but if you were to go for that one I would recommend that you color the different elements individually as well. Like coloring the trees and the mountains instead of just the terrain underneath them. Anyways this is looking great!

-Dan

Guild Apprentice

Wip

So a minor update. Just added the ocean and lake labels, and also lightened the southern mountains. Went with the saturated color version in the end.

Still need to tidy up, add a border, title etc. but happy with how its turned out so far.

TaldoreiWIPColor_JL.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast