Thread: [CWBP2] Races

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just don't see the purpose of having these defined origin "truths", what does it accomplish for us? If it accomplishes the goal you are after what are the negative consequences of having achieved that?

Again I think the only limits (as opposed to general guidelines, like the Era and Technology, or general world map) we should be saddling our project with should arise naturally from specifically design things that are in our world. (ie the Plot maps define a specific area and so indicates and influences things getting created around it)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    Yes they could. But there are conditions :

1) It happened in a very far past. My grand grand mother certainly didn't spawn from a scale. Why ? Because she remembers her father and her mother and they were not scales.
    2) The first spawn people didn't know how to write. If they did, they would probably have (at least) a genealogy of rulers. We know that Akenaton didn't spawn from a scale because the names of his parents were written down.
    3) The present people are unable to date ruins, tombs, skeletons, sediments etc. If they do, they can either rule out a legend which is dated (like Adam was created 3000 years ago) or set a bound in time for the scale spawning.
    4) Regardless of dragons and gods, the evolution works in parallel also on this world and would have produced independently intelligent species too. These latter must not have been witnesses of the scale spawning (or have no means to leave a message) because otherwise there would be a trace of such a surprising event - one day there is nothing and next day there are strange people that nobody has seen coming and who don't remember where they were before and who their parents are.
    Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    So like Azelor rightly said the people in the world have no means to know whether the legends that are necessarily situated in a very far past without traces and without witnesses are true or not.
    Only we can know because our memory extends far beyond theirs. For all practical purposes all their legends could be wrong if we decide so. But that wouldn't stop the people creating and believing them.
    I suspect you've been misreading my earlier posts. What I've written about legends being known to be true or false, has been entirely in out-of-setting context. That is, whether something is known to be true or false to us. I'd like to keep some sense of mystery and uncertainty on the out-of-setting level because I think that it'll make things more exciting and cultivates an air of fantasy. And also because it'll place less restrictions on each participant fleshing out their plotted corner of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I just don't see the purpose of having these defined origin "truths", what does it accomplish for us? If it accomplishes the goal you are after what are the negative consequences of having achieved that?
    The purpose isn't to define the origins as truths so much as to keep the door open for them possibly being truths. If we force a single truth about the origins of things across the entire globe, then every parcel of the world will have to conform to that. That seems like an unnecessary constraint to me, and one that can make the setting feel less fantastic.