Thread: city of Sargadh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very impressive as you know how to be efficient even after a radical change of style!
    It's darker, more "realistic", but the overall impression is still strong. I really like your work on relief and forests... I would love to master this technique, because I find it very "eye-catching".
    The setting and the banner are very successful and the city is splendid, with all its canals.
    My only reservation is on the font used (too modern for my taste) and on the port: I find the pontoons too wide and too "disorganised" for my taste (if what I say makes sense?).
    It's really very small details in view of the beauty of the whole... I already feel like nominating her for the 2020 Atlas Rewards !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    At first I was a bit unsure if I liked it or not, I mean, I do like it, it's a beast of a map like you are used to deliver but I'm not always a fan of the bevel road.

BUT ! Your flawless design is here, you went the subtle route with the beveling and, all in all, it is pretty awesome as usual. The care you give the shrubberies/fields and forests is awesome and the ornaments are golden plus the dark theme looks pretty ominous and I like ominous maps.

Great job as usual
    I can understand that. This was an exercise in varying things, and even I am so-so about certain parts of it.
    I do like these learning exercises though. They show, just as often, what not to do next time.
    Fir example - don't do cities back to back to back..... leads to mental burn-out.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Very impressive as you know how to be efficient even after a radical change of style!
    It's darker, more "realistic", but the overall impression is still strong. I really like your work on relief and forests... I would love to master this technique, because I find it very "eye-catching".
    The setting and the banner are very successful and the city is splendid, with all its canals.
    My only reservation is on the font used (too modern for my taste) and on the port: I find the pontoons too wide and too "disorganised" for my taste (if what I say makes sense?).
    It's really very small details in view of the beauty of the whole... I already feel like nominating her for the 2020 Atlas Rewards !
    Thanks for that input, as it always helps with new directions.
    I agree. I was not satisfied with the docks area. They were to be stone quays, but they were not done to my satisfaction.
    Part of the exercise was time management, so I was trying to keep myself from overdoing things, like I usually do.
    That ended up being somewhat hit and miss.

And ironically, I went through so many different fonts, and the choice was really an arbitrary one, unlike how I normally go about it.
    I used the font that I had for the lower weblink text, rather than changing the weblink text to match the location font.
    Lesson learned, and noted.