Thread: Other World Mapper (mapping software), feedback request and future changes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great, thanks. I have purchased, and I am now testing it on a commission. Further notes.

The delete / backspace doesn't work to remove anything on the Mac version. I have to go through the menu.

I would like a way to easily control a reference image's transparency, right now the only way I've found to get a reference is to set it as the background, and then I can only manipulate it from that specific panel... I'd like it to be in the layers.

Features: Create a random island with one click. Easy frame tools, with an option for a few plain frames and maybe the ability to place bumpers for icons, and a larger region for a label. Draw a custom shaped box to add to a wall, not just a square, circle, or polygon. When you hit undo, don't reset which tool it's on. When you click on the group for a layer set, don't jump to the bottom (I have only done this to merge the layers, which I have to do from the top). Make it possible to adjust the layer order from the layer panel instead of just from the menu.

The map I'm making is a black and white street map with a wall, and the program is perfect for the purpose though. Really overall impressed by how well the roads are coming together.
    Last edited by Tiana; 08-04-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thank you!

On your feedback, some comments and questions below. Thank you for the detailed feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    The delete / backspace doesn't work to remove anything on the Mac version. I have to go through the menu.
    Will fix with the next release

I would like a way to easily control a reference image's transparency, right now the only way I've found to get a reference is to set it as the background, and then I can only manipulate it from that specific panel... I'd like it to be in the layers.
    You should be able to manipulate everything from there...but you are right it ends up buried. We'll look into adding it as its own layer rather than it be the canvas background.

Create a random island with one click.
    Next release is adding a fill mode to create island groups (or a single island) from an arbitrary shape, so not quite single click. We'll look into also added a way to do this with a single click.

Easy frame tools, with an option for a few plain frames
    Do you mean overall map frame? You can add those from the Map menu, or do you mean frames around labels/text?

maybe the ability to place bumpers for icons and a larger region for a label.
    Could you elaborate on these two points? Thank you!!

Draw a custom shaped box to add to a wall, not just a square, circle, or polygon.
    What do you mean with custom shaped box? Right now you can draw arbitrary lines and curves when on "pen" mode.

When you hit undo, don't reset which tool it's on.
    Which tool were you on? This sounds like a bug, undo/redo shouldn't change the current too.

When you click on the group for a layer set, don't jump to the bottom (I have only done this to merge the layers, which I have to do from the top).
    Good point. We'll fix.

Make it possible to adjust the layer order from the layer panel instead of just from the menu.
    You can currently drag/drop from the layer panel. Would it be helpful to add other ways to change the layer order from there?

The map I'm making is a black and white street map with a wall, and the program is perfect for the purpose though. Really overall impressed by how well the roads are coming together.
    That's really awesome to hear! I've feel street mapping is one of the weakest parts of OWM, so that's nice to hear . Planning to add more tools and functionality to the city tools soon.

Again, thank you for all the detailed feedback! Please