Thread: How many mountains is too many? ^^;

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think "wouldn't it be cool if..." is a totally valid way to approach creating a map.

One thing to think about is who, in your world, is drawing this map, and how much do they know about the places they're mapping? A lot of things that might seem geomorphologically implausible if we assume high accuracy can make sense as a stylized way of representing something the mapmaker doesn't know much about. For example, the roundish blob of mountains in the southwest isn't something we see on the real earth -- mountains are usually in linear ranges -- but if all the mapmaker knew was that this land had mountains in the middle of it, that's a fair way to draw it. If this is for an RPG you can even work that into the campaign -- some areas may get "clarified" once the PCs actually go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Confutus View Post
    As it should. 8) Clearly resupplied with meltwater from those undoubtedly glacier-clad mountains to the north, keeping its water cold and fresh.
    Oh they are, it's very cold up there :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    I think "wouldn't it be cool if..." is a totally valid way to approach creating a map.

One thing to think about is who, in your world, is drawing this map, and how much do they know about the places they're mapping? A lot of things that might seem geomorphologically implausible if we assume high accuracy can make sense as a stylized way of representing something the mapmaker doesn't know much about. For example, the roundish blob of mountains in the southwest isn't something we see on the real earth -- mountains are usually in linear ranges -- but if all the mapmaker knew was that this land had mountains in the middle of it, that's a fair way to draw it. If this is for an RPG you can even work that into the campaign -- some areas may get "clarified" once the PCs actually go there.
    Hi hi. Well just as long as I don't completely bypass all laws of nature ^^' It is for my DnD campaign and while that might give me a bit of leeway I want it to be as accurate as possible! Just how impossible is it for something like that to occur? Could, for example, 3 continental plates crash together to form something like this? The area is a big source of raw magic but I don't want to use magic as an excuse to just do whatever - I want to use magic as a flavour for worldbuilding but not the building blocks!

In the XKCD What If? section there was a bit that delved into the topography of Mars and how it would change as the water level rose that might be a bit interesting along with this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post

Wouldn't mountains the Ahaggar Mountains be a good model for the blob of mountains.