Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eldrany World Map

Wip Eldrany World Map

Hi all.
    Here is my first try at a world map. I was working at it since january and i have some trouble choosing the city style icon. My first thought was to go with isometric icons. But I'm not happy with the first result (size resolution, style of the map, colors...). I need your help. Any advice will be nice.
    Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContI.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	105473  

That is definitely a very interesting (and peculiar) shape for a continent! I'm curious why you labelled it as a world map though, unless this continent is just a piece of a larger map? And in that case, are you sure this passes the standards of the tectonic branch of the realisminite inquistion, my child (just joking ofc, I have been reading too much into Pixie's Guildcity thread).
    Last edited by Charerg; 03-13-2018 at 12:54 PM.

This is a promising start, Warlin! I think the main reason that the isometric icons clash with the rest of the map, is because the linework is very different. While you use thick, and, for lack of a better word, "cartoon-ish" lines for most of the map, the icons use very straight and thin lines. If you drew the icons with the same brush and style as the rest of the map it would probably look a lot better. Other than that, this is already looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    That is definitely a very interesting (and peculiar) shape for a continent! I'm curious why you labelled it as a world map though, unless this continent is just a piece of a larger map? And in that case, are you sure this passes the standards of the tectonic branch of the realisminite inquistion, my child (just joking ofc, I have been reading too much into Pixie's Guildcity thread).
    after the river control, the holy tectonic branch of inquisition ! Mercy, Saint Charerg, great master of the earthquake order, I don't mean to go against your will... just kidding. You're right, it's just one of the continent of this world, it represent 1/5 of the whole. And I try to take care about tectonic, but not to restrain my creativity with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    This is a promising start, Warlin! I think the main reason that the isometric icons clash with the rest of the map, is because the linework is very different. While you use thick, and, for lack of a better word, "cartoon-ish" lines for most of the map, the icons use very straight and thin lines. If you drew the icons with the same brush and style as the rest of the map it would probably look a lot better. Other than that, this is already looking great!
    Thanks Daniel.
    Indeed, your advice is what I already had in mind. I'll try to draw the cities with the same brush and style. But at this size, my hand is shaking...

On the other hand, as long as style is consistent within each, there's nothing wrong with using different styles for natural and artificial features if you want to contrast the two.

This looks great Warlin ! I love how you've already given depth to your land without even shading it ... un maître à l'œuvre

Excellent map, already! Concerning your icons, I think a reduced size could also reduce your issue, and maybe a less important iso view.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    On the other hand, as long as style is consistent within each, there's nothing wrong with using different styles for natural and artificial features if you want to contrast the two.
    Thanks rdanhenry. I think you're right. After looking at other map I find various way to depict this artificial features.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    This looks great Warlin ! I love how you've already given depth to your land without even shading it ... un maître à l'œuvre
    Merci Thomas (bien que ma modestie et mon caractère insatisfait ont du mal à accepter le titre de maître ...) Shading is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Excellent map, already! Concerning your icons, I think a reduced size could also reduce your issue, and maybe a less important iso view.
    Merci Julien. For the suggestion, I agree with the size, but I want to keep the ISO view. I think the new icon work well now.

Here is an update with icons, shading (not all the forest) and labels. I think I have to work on the coloration of the forest and the land to give some variations. What do you think ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContI.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	6.04 MB 
ID:	105599
    Cheers.

Those new icons fit the rest of the map much better to my old eyes. On the whole everything seems pretty consistent now and it's all looking pretty good IMHO.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I agree with Greason, the icons are fitting and look good. Personally the trees could use a bit of variance, but as they are it doesn't feel like a necessity. I think comes down more to personal preferance. Either way I think it will turn out great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast