Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
In addition as always in FANTASY world maps dragons and magic are always fine, but a river going upstream is not. i really don't understand the logic here
For me, the key is reason and effort.

The map, to me, is a story within itself. And the good basic rule of storytelling is that you should be able to tell what purpose a thing serves to the narrative, and give it a reason for doing so. I have no problem with a river running upstream, if the creator of the map has set up some sort of a reason for it to exist ("A rivers runs upwards the hill, into a garden where a quirky demi-god once lived, who enjoyed creating things that defy the very laws of nature. Even the master of the garden is long gone, the magic of his creation still lingers..." etc.). A fantasy world doesn't necessarily have to follow flawless Earth logic, but it needs to follow a consistent logic of its own in order to feel believable. I'm willing to buy an awful lot of unrealistic stuff as long as it has been set up in a logical fashion. But there is a big difference between well thought-out fantasy weirdness, and just explaining your lazy worldbuilding away with "eh, it's magic, it doesn't have to make sense".

And just for the record, I think the same does apply to dragons and magic and the other typical fantasy stuff as well as geological inconsistencies. Don't just lazily drop dragons into your world for the sake of having dragons, if they add absolutely nothing to the narrative of the world.