View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PhotoPaint is a fine program for mapping. I started out with it, and kept with it until I moved to Photoshop for school. For buildings, I had good success with Duvik's tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=716 Get textures from cgtextures.com And the Zombie Nirvana tuts I pointed out in your intro thread are also quite valuable.

If you're comfortable with Corel, I say stick with it. It's quite a powerful suite, and familiarity is valuable. DRAW is also nice for more illustrative maps like this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=2439&page=5

That one was done with Serif DrawPlus, I think, but CorelDRAW is a comparable tool.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I say that it's about using what you know or are familiar with...that's why I only use Photoshop. Sure I could buy those other things or even get the free stuff but why? I'm comfy with what I have and have learned to maneuver around the things that I don't have (like image tubes in Paint Shop Pro and GIMP). The fun part for me is always trying to replicate the look and feel that you get with other programs and making maps with what I have rather than just doing it the easy way and getting more appropriate software (like CC3 or Dunjinni). It's that whole "figuring it out" part that's rewarding to me.

There is a bonus for you however being one of the few (here) using Corel...you can do things in ways that the rest of us don't even know about so your maps could be revolutionary and spawn a whole exodus away from what we all use over to Corel. Or they could be total crap Either way it's the journey that's the fun part and you could also write up some tutorials (which is always a good thing).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Don't want to harp, Xara, but...

OK, I mentioned this to you in your introduction thread, but I use Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2, however there is a Xara Xtreme (not Pro) for about $70, whereas Pro is like $250, but the "non Pro" version can do anything in the creation of maps I currently use, it just has other stuff, my day job needs, so that's why I have and use it.

The point being, Xara Xtreme is sooooo easy to learn and use, you'll be creating what you want the same day you started using it - really. There's such a loyal GIMP crowd here, I don't want to step on them, so I'm less pushy to trying out Xara, when there are so many options. I'd say Xara almost has no learning curve, its that easy to figure out!

It's faster than most applications (I've used many, so I know) and extremely powerful, I use for much of a daytime job, its that versatile. Although, yes, its a paid for program, but you can download a 14 day trial for free, to give you time to figure this out.

I've got a couple tutorials using Xara for mapping, located below:
    Making a Regional Map using Xara Xtreme

Got several other Xara tutorials, but the following one emphasizes one of the important tools that offer tremedous design creation - a must learn feature, and be sure to download the PDF link there...
    Using Combine Shapes in Xara Xtreme

Remember, I'm not trying to convince everyone to use Xara, over other available applications, but you did ask for EASY to learn, FAST to use, so this is the only reason I'm asking you to try Xara Xtreme!

Every map whether starting as a hand-drawn work or completely digital, I've created for the Guild since I first joined involved Xara Xtreme in the workflow, or was completely created in Xara alone.

Its easy, easy, easy, powerful and fast! Please use your preferred app, I don't want to twist your arms away from it, but if you're looking for something different...try it!

GP

PS: I don't work for Xara, never have...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-23-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations