View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.34%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

547 40.19%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.26%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.47%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.17%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.45%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.81%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.42%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.21%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

384 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Guild Novice Facebook Connected AtlasNerd's Avatar

I tried using InKarnate but wasn't happy with the low-res textures. I downloaded GIMP which has been an amazing program to use. I had zero experience with any image manipulation software(GIMP, photoshop, etc.) and after skimming the instructions and looking through the tutorial section here, I am doing better than I expected.
    Last edited by AtlasNerd; 08-07-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo fix

Hi! I've been "lurking" here for quite awhile and made a post or two here and there. Thought this may be a good place to ask a question:
    I have CC3 and am looking at maybe getting Hexographer. I wondered what people thought about those programs.

My background:
    - NOT an artist, in any sense of the word
    - I am seeking to create maps for games (D&D specifically).
    - I have dabbled in Photoshop (basically creating avatars or resizing downloaded pictures). I did do a little map making in PS (I have version 7).
    - I have a manilla folder of all the old maps I hand drew over the past 3 decades.

My "problems":
    Hand drawing a map is "easy" for me. I see my idea in my head and my hand kinda sorta does what I tell it to. When I go to use digital software, there is a process between what I see in my head and how to get it onscreen that proves most difficult for me. I realize and understand that this only gets better by actually using the software, but sitting down for hours on end (or spending whole weekends) getting comfy with the program fails when I try. So "ease of use" and "simple learning curve" are the top factors for me.

I'd like to be able scan my old maps in (I do have a scanner/laser printer) and see that others do this, but I really want the "layering ability" that digital software adds.

So far, my biggest hurdle with CC3 is the symbol selections, like mountains, forests, and all that overland stuff. Even the city designer portion seems troublesome for me. I have no clue (I know there are lots of great tutorials here) about how to change the symbols to something I like better. Like I said, not an artist

This is why I am looking at Hexographer. From what I've seen on their site (and the free download trial I have tried), I like the simplicity of a hex with some trees in it or swamps or fields. The "deluxe package" for Hexographer is a little pricey ($75-ish) and so was wondering if it will help me, or just end up like CC3 for me: a struggle to create with.

Thanks

PS: I hope this is the right area and also apologize if this was asked earlier.

Default About CC3

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    Welcome, Airith!

I'm a very big CC3 user (I've been using CC software for about 10 years now). If you have any questions about CC3 to help you in your purchase decision, please feel free to ask away.

As for the learning curve, I think it has been greatly reduced over the years as new versions of the software have been released, but since it is a CAD-based program and not a drawing program like Photoshop, there are some differences in the way you work. But yes, doing the tutorial in the little booklet that comes with it is key to understanding the fundamentals.
    Hey Jaerdaph, the one question I'm having a hard time finding, both about CC3 and other programs, is Can I port the map and details to print on a canvas that is around 119" ( projector blind)

I'll be building a large continent that was ravaged by the 4 horseman from their respective cardinal directions.

If CC3 Isn't what I need to do both, might you have a suggestion for the correct program to use for someadded basic details? aka; lava, blacked ground, snow caps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I seem to have been beat out on all the good points, but I'll throw in my vote for and Inkscape/GIMP combination for making maps.

And welcome aboard!

-Rob A>
    If I already have photoshop elements, is there any reason to get GIMP?

Quote Originally Posted by darcycardinal View Post
    95% Of the maps that I have created are hand drawn, scanned and edited in photoshop. Sometimes, there isn't any editing done at all. Sketchup is another tool that I have recently started to use to bring my maps to life.

Darcy
    Can you share an example of what you did in sketchup?

@swiss - if you click on darcycardinal's name it will take you to his profile page. Once there, if you scroll down a bit you will see his albums listed on the left hand side. I think there are several examples there

In answer to Ravells's original question at the start of this thread, I started with Campaign Cartographer 3+ and used my previous non-mapping graphics skills in Blender, and Corel to make new symbols for myself to use. I've used Fractal Terrains 3 to generate coastlines, and dabbled briefly in Truspace (that app is really complicated). I also used Vue Pioneer (the free version) to make tree symbols, but abandoned that project when I learned that there were copyright restrictions on what I could do with the images I rendered from the scenes I set up (I would never be able to sell any of my maps if I had wanted to if I had carried on using the Vue trees I had made). All my home made trees these days are either drawn in GIMP or rendered from Blender.

I currently use GIMP and CC3+ in tandem to create most of my maps, but all the software I have ever used remains in my personal toolkit to be used whenever I need them. For example if I need to render a giant soap bubble to symbolise a spherical force field of some kind, I can use Blender to render it, and import it into either GIMP or CC3+ to incorporate it into my map.

Graphics apps are many and varied, but all of them... no matter how fancy or expensive... are only ever the tools in your toolbox. You are the craftsman, and the greatest skill is not about having the whole collection or being an expert in all things, but rather in being an expert in knowing which of the tools that you actually have will give you something closest to the effect you are after, and how to use them together

Blog Entries

In my opinion, you need a good bitmap editor. Anyone will do so if you have photoshop elements then your good. Gimp is pretty good and free, then there are others, Paint Shop Pro is lite but nice, Krita, etc. All that matters is that you have one which is fairly capable and you get good at it.

Then its a good idea to be able to use a nice vector app like Illustrator or Inkscape because its easier to do some work in a vector app than bitmap app. Text lables - especially ones which flow in curves are very easy in a vector based app. Some apps like Xara do both bitmap and vector and Gimp / Photoshop have some vector parts to them too but personally I dont like Gimps text renderer.

Having a 3D tool is useful. Sketchup is easy but is better for buildings and architectural stuff. Blender is very capable indeed but its a big and complex app with a steep learning curve to the UI. There are loads more like Wings3D, Rhino, etc. But same rule applies in that get used to one and get good at it.

No one app will cover everything you may need. So taking some advice to pick the one which best suits your style and type of art you want to create is worth it. You can look at samples from people and see from their WIP threads what they used.

Finally, dont overlook the trusty pen. Lots of great maps - especially at this "inktober" month show some great stuff with nothing more than some good pens and a skillful hand.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I'm late to this party, but it's been great reading some of the replies. Figured I'd throw in my current process (though it is every evolving) since it might be useful to someone, somewhere.
    For my last world map, I roughed out the continents on inkarnate. When I was pretty happy with the placement, I printed it out and roughed in details by hand. I had ideas where cities would go, changed the coastlines, decided which sections were based off of real life places, worked out probably road ways, etc. It's a scribble mess. Then I drew the whole thing in Manga Studio. After that, I switched back and forth between Photoshop and Manga studio to work on colors and details. I did all of my lettering in Manga studio. I had some issues with large file size, but over all I was really happy with how it turned out.
    Twitter: @mirandaleiggi
    Instagram: mira_artstuff

Default Fill & Hatch

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm pretty new to map making. I see in the original poll that most members (at least back then) preferred raster programs to vector. Does this have something to do with fill? I'm using Inkscape and filling an object seems to give really sloppy results. The more irregular it is, say a jagged coastline like Norway's, the more sloppy the fill. I thought fill would just fill a bounded area regardless of detail. Is bad fill just a property of vector based programs? Should I switch to something else? Also there's no way to fill with a hatch instead of color in Inkscape except for one pattern they have available, which doesn't work well in maps.

Thanks.

I'm going to guess you're using the paint bucket to fill your shape? That tool is odd to me. I pretty much never use it. The Fill & Stroke panel is the only way I colour objects. Is your land shape a closed object? If not, is there a way you can easily make it closed?

If you must use the bucket fill, I think there's a setting somewhere that you can tweak on how it fills, though my understanding is that the more you zoom in, the more accurate the fill will be. But that - as you've noticed! - is a bit of a nightmare with a complex shape.

As for hatching, there are several patterns available, again, in the Fill & Stroke panel, and these can be resized to suit. If none of them suit, you can make your own pattern (Create your pattern, then convert it to a pattern via the Object menu / Pattern / Objects to pattern.)

I love Inkscape for mapping, though I usually use it in combination with other tools, but for things like tapered rivers and labelling, it can't be beat (in my humble opinion!)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast