Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

You're welcome

I would never expect that I could help someone with your knowledge
    Unfortunately I have to do the whole tut again because I've no saved map before I've done the merge.
    Anyway it's a good exercise for me. Slowly but surely I'm going to be a Pro

#yosh

btw: I have the same issue with the orange roads as you ...

Gidde,

First of all, many thanks for putting this together. This is helping me immensely in putting together a map for my yet-to-be-started book. lol.

I am having a problems with the rivers though. The script only seems to fill in the first 'river' i draw. Do I have to start a new layer for each river on the map? I tried adding multiple paths to the same layer and then running the script too. No joy. any advice?

Thanks a million

Blog Entries

I believe that if you are using RobA's tapered stroke path script it will only do one path at a time. So each river, even each branch has to be done separately. One thing you might take a look at is which path is selected in the paths dialog. You should be able to do as many paths as you want in one layer and then run the script on each one. I just ended up using the ink tool with little to no flow settings and started at 1 and went to 3.5 px or so in 0.5 px gradations to the sea. My map is here for reference.

Hey! This tutorial is awesome! Great work! Ive only had one problem though... Ive been able to follow all the steps easily and successfully untill page 31 with the river color. I get confused at this part:

"Switch to the channels dialog and grab the Borders layer as a selection. Switch back to the layers dialog and select
    the mask for the River Color layer. Fill the selection with black."

What do you mean with "grab the Borders layer as a selection"? And i get even more confused at

"Now switch back to the channels dialog and pick up the Rivers channel as a selection." Ive looked back a number of times now and i cant find a place where we made a Rivers channel. Im new to all of this so i havent had luck making my own. If you could help i would be forever grateful. Thanks.

hohum,

Many thanks. will give it a spin. Awesome map, btw.

Blog Entries

@ Gothmog: Go to the channels tab, select the Border Channel, Right click and select "Channel to Selection" from the drop down menu. This should give you a selection that covers the border area. You then need to go back to the "River Color Layer", not Channel, make sure you are selecting the "Mask" and fill the selection with Black. Then you should have a "River" Mask in your channels tab. Repeat the right click selection thing. Oh I see now, when you made your rivers layer, Black on white or whatever, all you need to do is select the rivers by color select or however you like and then go to the Select Menu and "Save to Channel" hope that helps.

@ BernieB: Thanks and good luck.

@hohum: trying the ink tool now. do you have a tablet, or did you just mouse them in? I'm new to GIMP and can't really figure out where to enter the grade of the river. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I bought a cheap tablet from newegg.com, Genius is the brand, it seems to work okay. I just played with the ink settings, flow etc. but started at the top with 1px and just colored down the line adjusting as I felt was necessary. If you haven't done it, really zoom in, at least 200% to do this. I often zoom in to 400% to get things the way I want around the edges or at joins between brush/nib sizes.

Alright Gents,

I hit a roadblock (due to my own ignorance!). I completely skipped over the adding "sea channel" and now that I am trying to add color to my water, it's changing the whole map. Am I at a loss here and have to start over, or is there any way to revive my map? THanks.

So, luckily I have saved my map at intervals and was able to go back and recreate needed channel in older version. Only problem is I can't figure out a way to import it into newer version. lol. Any suggestions?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast