Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged)

Found resolution for my idiocy here: http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/...ry/009613.html Thanks.

Not sure of your particulars but you should be able to open both files, select the layer (in the layer stack by clicking and in the drawing window by hitting Ctrl-A) and copy it, move to your working file and paste. If you can't open both files for some reason (too big or whatever) just delete everything but the layer you want to copy and save the file as a new one. Then you can either open both files and do the process I suggested above or you can try the Place function (under the File menu, I believe). Hope that helps.
    M

Just read through this tut Gidde; really nicely done (very easy to follow). Repped & rated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great tutorial, however I have stumbled upon the same problem as yosherl mentioned earlier. I looked at your replies, but I am a little confused.
    but this step should have you keep Background visible before the merge, merge and then do the transparency routine i mentioned earlier.
    When you say before the merge, do you mean the merging of the (for example) Hills and Hill Shading or the merging of City, Roads, Hill Shading, Forest Shading, and Mountain Shading?
    Also you mention that you would edit this into the tutorial, not to sound rude but have you done it?
    Again thanks for the tutorial, I have been able to make my map look better than I thought possible

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gidde has been away from the guild for some time now, I'm sure once she returns she will edit her tutorial to reflect questions etc
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi fellows,

I'm having some problems right now. I was following the instructions in the tutorial (it is very clear and easy to follow for a gimp beginner, even for a non-native english speaker!) and I'm stuck in the border section. My problem is when I merge all the visible layers, If I hide the background layer then all the rest of the layers dissapear! (the shading layers only-mountains, hills and forests) What I'm doing wrong? Maybe is a problem of missundertanding but I feel so anxious because the results are being awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Well.. I don't know what part you are at, but if the layers above the "background" layer have a layermode other than "normal", this is correct. Layer Modes "modify" the way the below layer's look... if you hide that below layer, there is nothing to modify!!! Other than that, I guess we need more information.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm in the beginning of the Borders section, I think is pg. 23 in the pdf. I'm going to try to modify the layers to normal (multiply at the moment) maybe that could be the problem.

Thank you very much.

Edit.:

And as you were saying, the problem was that, the layermode, . Thank you and I will upload the results soon!
    Last edited by bardenar; 11-11-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Really? That doesn't seem like desirable behavior to me. If you have a layer with a blendmode turned on and nothing underneath it, then you should just see that layer unmodified. Do you get the same result if you use Screen or one of the other additive modes?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pruebas.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	40315

This is the map I've done following the tutorial. Actually, is my first map (well, my first not really hand drawn). Well, what can I say? Not bad, really? hehe.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast