Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: maps in progress

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pict-050 (Large).jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	3266

a view of the formerly hidden entrance to the dwarf hold

Drawn with ballpoint pen highlighter and sharpies (huh wonder where i was when i drew this)

Name:	UnnamedDwarfOutpost (Large).png 
Views:	84 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	3385

anyone have a good Name for this Outpost?

I am having a hard time coming up with one

Preferably Something Dwarvish

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Anvilfold Anvilfeld or Anvilhold

Anghkar Dhurn (Ang Car Durn)

that's my suggestion

thanks Anghkar Dhurn is great

Name:	Flood diagram.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	437.0 KB 
ID:	3400

The gorge appears to end at a damp shallow grotto. Most peculiarly however is the large door flung wide open and hanging off it hinges stranger yet is the stream issuing from the mouth of the door.

The wall was originally constructed so that it appeared to be a natural end to the canyon. The thick wall actually consists of 2 curved walls (the inner wall is 5 feet shorter than the outer wall) with a 20’ wide passage between the 2 outer walls.
    There is a once secret door on the outer wall toward the north side of the canyon (now wide open with a stream pouring through it) and a firmly closed stone door on the inner wall near the south side of the canyon. A lever to open the inner door is located on top of the inner wall on the south end.
    Only a few rotted posts remain of a once large wood platform and roof that had formerly spanned the 2 walls.

Underneath the wall is a concealed channel that at one point allowed the stream to flow freely under the wall it was designed to look like a natural underground stream issuing from the wall of the grotto.
    After many years without any dwarves to maintain it the channel became clogged with debris and the inner wall dammed up causing part of the gorge to the north of the newly formed dam to fill with water. Eventually the water spilled over the inner wall and filled the channel between the 2 walls.
    Then inevitably Water began to flow over the outer wall creating a waterfall at what appeared to be the end of the canyon.

By standing in the running water characters can peer into the doorway.
    Looking through the opening you notice that 20’ beyond the doorway there is another wall with a thin sheet of water running down it and onto the paved ground. The water is flowing over a floor slippery with silt and algae and continues on out through the doorway and finally back to the stream bed as it was intended. Visible across the threshold there is another door on the inner wall on the opposite side of the canyon. There does not seem to be any apparent way to open the door.

Pulling the lever will open the stone door in the inner wall this will effectively drain the gorge. Draining will take from 10 to 20 minutes
    Any individual standing in-between the walls or by the outer door will be swept away by the massive amount of water coming out of the doors.

see illustration

Well i think I'm done with this one

unless anyone has any suggestions

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwaven SafeHaven2 (Custom).png 
Views:	82 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	3703  

ya know i think i need to go back add a scale reference to most of my maps
    hopefully i have not omitted anything else as important

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

yep .... I'd say scale is pretty important when it comes to mapping but unfortuntely ... it is sooo easy to forget .... I forget to do that all the time

Post fun with patterns

just playing with some patterns

looks a little too busy

i think however it was a good experiment

Name:	DwarfHoldPatternTest.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	4351

I like the look. Nice map with or without the patterns. I did find the outdoors patterns at bit confusing at first. Is that suppose to be trees? I like the mountain rock pattern and the building patterns were nice as well. Great stuff.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    I like the look. Nice map with or without the patterns. I did find the outdoors patterns at bit confusing at first. Is that suppose to be trees? I like the mountain rock pattern and the building patterns were nice as well. Great stuff.
    glad you like it

the patterns are available i believe on the usgs website the link is in a different thread somewhere

but here it is again

http://pubs.usgs.gov/tm/2006/11A02/

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast