Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

Blog Entries

Hmm, sorry Sapiento, I have no idea why you are getting that error message. Unless somehow the UI enhancements with the Look and Feel have screwed something up, but the program should intercept any such problems and return to the default look if that is the case. So... hmmm. :S

Has anyone else tried it and either got it to work or is getting this error message?

I'll try and tie up a few loose ends on the version I am currently working on and upload it, see if that will get rid of the problem. There will probably be bugs and problems with the feature I am working on but everything else should work ok I guess.

It's great that you have made some brushes for it by the way. I notice that your coloured brushes have some light shading in the actual colouring of the brush. You might want to avoid this if you ever want to mirror the brushes or change the light direction.
    Last edited by Ramah; 09-02-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Gah! I think I have worked out why it isn't working. Tsk. This goes to show that although 0.75 has been downloaded 10 times so far, no-one is giving me feedback. So thanks for that Sapiento.

As a quick fix, without the need for me to upload a new version, here is a missing directory that should have been included with the previous version.

This needs unzipping into the TreeThing root directory, so you should be able to see the directory in the same place as the brush directories.

Sorry about that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Gah! I think I have worked out why it isn't working. Tsk. This goes to show that although 0.75 has been downloaded 10 times so far, no-one is giving me feedback. So thanks for that Sapiento.

As a quick fix, without the need for me to upload a new version, here is a missing directory that should have been included with the previous version.

This needs unzipping into the TreeThing root directory, so you should be able to see the directory in the same place as the brush directories.

Sorry about that.
    Thank you, Ramah, for the fast and useful response! It works now.

Alright, I give, what am I doing wrong here? I download this thing but I can't get it to run at all.

I extracted the entire thing into it's own directory but when I click on the executable jar file it says it can't find the main class Mapmaking.main program will exit.

I know this has to be something stupid but for whatever reason I'm just not getting it.

edit: BAH nevermind, I looked up 2 posts above and downloaded the missing directory and it's going now.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Yeah, sorry about that Jax.

I've uploaded a fixed version now in the original post.

I should hopefully have a new version posted soon. Just need to find the time to iron out a few bugs first. Here are a few images that show the changes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MixedForestExample1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	29123

I've changed the way it works slightly so it will now handle brushes of different heights (widths still need to be pretty much the same). To show this I now include a "Mixed Forest" brush set that uses, the default tree and the coniferous trees together. Fig. 1.

On top of that I've given the program the ability to use the greyscale information from a loaded template to position trees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest1test.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	29125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MixedForestExample3.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	29124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MixedForestExample2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	29122

Fig.2 shows such a template. It doesn't HAVE to be greyscale, the program will convert any colour on a template to greyscale but obviously it is more controlable if you make it so.

Fig.3 shows an unshaded forest with the deciduous trees excluded from going on the white parts of the template. The coniferous trees are excluded from the black. They mix randomly in the greys. All these levels are adjustable.
    Fig 4. shows the same forest shaded.

I've also given the program the ability to save shadow offset positions. These are stored in a text file in the brush directory. Any changes to these files that make them unreadable to the program result in a new file being made at runtime and the offsets will need re-doing. Also, if a new shadow brush is added to the set or one is taken away etc. then they will also need repositioning.

Again, hopefully I can get this uploaded reasonably soon. Just need to find the time to iron out a few annoying problems.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention that I've also added a "Merge Shadows" option for if you want to get rid of that effect where shadows overlay each other.
    Last edited by Ramah; 09-11-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Guild Apprentice

I got to say Ramah... You really got that programming going.
    More than I could ever have hoped of.

Last map I made with this program: http://fluesoppen.com/images/div/Selton.jpg

Good Job.

Blog Entries

Hey Fluesopp, good to know you're still hanging around the forum. Not seen you for some time.

Yeah, I still keep tinkering away at this when I have the time. As I've said before, it's a bit slow going as I usually have to learn how to program whatever is I want to add but I'm getting there.

By the way, although I started a new thread for this I still credit you in the program under the "About" menu item. There are still a few lines of yours in the program I believe. Hehe.

Guild Apprentice

Yeah, I haven't had much time to work on mapping. I have much more important things to attend to, such as school and stuff. Right now I've been hard at work, trying to solve the Traveling Salesman Problem. I might eventually learn some algorithms which will enhance the tree positioning, but at the moment I lean more towards the idea of a complete world generator, Dwarf Fortress style. But only if I have time.

Think I may use this in my map to replace the forests I have now..... if I can find other stuff to match... though I'm sure with the right brushes, it could be used to make mountain and deserts too... right?
    I used Old Guys Realistic Coastline Tutorial modified for PSPx3.
    How's It Looking? - Please provide me with your input.

I've been using this for my current project and I love it!

The only problem that I've encountered is that every time i launch the program, all the settings for jitter, spacing, etc are reset. The first time I used it, I should have written down my settings. I was able to duplicate it with some trial and error, and keep the forests of my map looking similar to each other. So I had an idea: What if the end user could save his or her settings in a file somehow, and load them up? Multiple settings could be saved and recalled for various projects. Other than that, I think this is an excellent little app.

Thank you and have some rep!
    Last edited by JiveMiguel; 10-21-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    "If only Dionysus were alive! Where would he eat?"

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast