Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

Blog Entries

Thank, JiveMiguel.

Yeah, saving settings like that is definitely on my todo list. It was always one of the things I would have to look into to learn how to do but since I figured out how to save the offsets for shadows then the knowledge is there it's just finding the time to actually implement it.
    I'll try to get it implemented in the next update.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I'm trying to make some brushes for this program. They are saved with correct names and as transparent PNGs, but nothing is showing up when I select them in TreeThing. I'm pulling my hair out here! Is there a certain setting I should be using when saving the PNGs? I've attached the brush files here. Please take a look if you have a moment. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "If only Dionysus were alive! Where would he eat?"

Blog Entries

Ramah I've been using this on this month's challenge and I have to say it's working very well. Repped and rated!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

A big thank you from me too, Ramah! I've just used it in Serif Drawplus and it works like a dream. I've got to make my own trees now. If you could have a save settings option that would be fabulous.

No chance of doing a tree thing using vector objects??? Please, please please!!!

My initial efforts below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crom render 02.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	32700  

Jive Miguel, I had a look at your palm trees. You have not filled the mask with white (it's transparent). I'd also suggest feathering the mask a little so the black outline of the Tree shows more.

wow, how could i have missed this one. thanks, this is very cool Ramah! cheers

Blog Entries

Right,

Added a new version of the program. Find it in the original post of the thread.

New to this version is the ability to save settings between sessions. This can happen automatically whenever you close the program and the program will then automatically reload these settings upon next start up. Also you can save and load settings through the File menu. So you can have numerous settings saved for different type of forests. These variables are saved in txt files in the settings folder. The system is not particularly robust and needs some failsafes adding. If the files somehow become corrupt through a bug (or through curious meddling) then deleting the files should sort any problems out.
    Also added is a feature that lets you tie in brush placement to the greyscale values of a template. This can then be used for things such as a mixed forest where you want mainly evergreen trees around the base of mountains and then deciduous trees in the lowlands and a mix of the two in between. Access this feature through the "Brush Weight" menu (when a template is loaded). It's a little confusing how it works and a simplification is on my to-do list for future updates. But for now it works. (I explained a little more of how the greyscale templates work in a post on page 4 of this thread)

Umm... not sure if there are any other big features added - it's been so long since I updated this. There are various other little additions and fixes made to it but nothing really worth mentioning.

I've also added a line to the original post asking that if anyone uses this app in their mapping then to please credit me and depending on where the map is displayed etc. then to provide a link back to this thread. Most people already do this anyway but I've seen maps posted in various places that have clearly used this program but with no mention of that fact. I'll continue to develop this program whatever (and its sister program HillThing) but I don't have to upload them for everyone.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention. There are a couple of new brushsets included in the zip. One for swamp and one for jungle. And I think the mixed forest is new too, although I'm not certain. The jungle and swamp sets aren't too great but with some playing around half-decent results can be achieved. The jungle in particular made a really nice effect on a map a while back that I was unfortunately unable to post due to client's wishes.
    Last edited by Ramah; 03-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Blog Entries

Cheers Ravs.

Oh, and I always forgot to reply to your question about making it utilise vector graphics... wish I knew how.
    I've never done anything with vectors. The one time I tried Inkscape I closed it after a few minutes, totally bewildered by all the options. They are saved as .SVG files? Somehow I doubt it would be as simple as loading up an .svg file instead of a .png.

When I get time I'll look into it but my gut says it will be awkward for a novice like me. I'll get back to you on it.... some day. Hehe.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast