Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

Guild Member

I cannot get this program to work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I create the brush layer, save it as a .png, but when I try to load the template the program doesn't do anything. I've downloaded the tut for it and I followed it to the letter. Just not sure why its not working. Any suggestions?

Guild Member

Here it is. I tried to upload the .png file but it wouldn't let me so here is a jpg version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	36367  

Blog Entries

So when you say, "brush layer" you are meaning the template itself?

Hmm, not sure what your problem could be. And with that file being posted as a jpg I cannot see whether it is an alpha channel. In the .png file is the area surrounding your forest transparent?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
    I cannot get this program to work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I create the brush layer, save it as a .png, but when I try to load the template the program doesn't do anything. I've downloaded the tut for it and I followed it to the letter. Just not sure why its not working. Any suggestions?
    I have the same problem sometimes. It will be working fine one minute then the next it wont load brushes or templates and none of the buttons will do anything. To fix this, I simply uninstall and re install it. by uninstall i mean i delete the treething folder and then unzip the one i downloaded from here. I have no clue what could be causing the issue, but unzipping a fresh copy does the trick for me.

BTW Thank you ramah for this fantastic program
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    So when you say, "brush layer" you are meaning the template itself?

Hmm, not sure what your problem could be. And with that file being posted as a jpg I cannot see whether it is an alpha channel. In the .png file is the area surrounding your forest transparent?
    *Sorry for the delayed response. Life teamed up with drama and they ambushed me on multiple Mondays.*

I created a layer to hold the brush strokes. That was saved and then imported into the treethingy. But the treethingy never changes. Its just a bunch of trees in a square formation. Yes, the layer is completely transparent except for the brush. The brush strokes themselves are a bit translucent as I staggered the opacity as you suggested. Of course, I also tried a single opacity file and got no results. I tried making a circular object, filled with black, and no dice. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm using PS CS4 but my software shouldn't be an issue right? I mean a .png is a .png.

*EDIT*
    OK, I had to "trim" the layer to get it to upload but here is my .png file.

Name:	forest8.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	36642  
    Last edited by voidgere; 06-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Hmm I tried your template and it works fine for me. It sounds like the issue must be how tree thing works on your computer.

Name:	forest8_x.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	36643  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    I have the same problem sometimes. It will be working fine one minute then the next it wont load brushes or templates and none of the buttons will do anything. To fix this, I simply uninstall and re install it. by uninstall i mean i delete the treething folder and then unzip the one i downloaded from here. I have no clue what could be causing the issue, but unzipping a fresh copy does the trick for me.

BTW Thank you ramah for this fantastic program
    When you posted this I had no idea why this would be happening to you. But for some reason as I lay awake thinking last night it popped in to my head that I had included the ability to save settings in the last release. I think the problem is probably something to do with that. My advice to you would therefore be that if it happens again, rather than deleting the whole thing and reinstalling, try going into the directories and deleting the default settings text file. If it works then when you start it up it should just return to default settings. Hopefully.

Unfortunately this is not something I can just rush out a quick fix for as when I last touched the program I was deep in a complete overhaul of the code to allow for forests with perspective and it wasn't stable. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Guild Member

Well, I checked the settings and the folder was empty. However, on a lark, I tried to load the trimmed png and it worked. Is there a canvas size or file size limitation? The only thing I could think of.

Blog Entries

That settings comment was really an answer to a different problem further up.

Umm, well there is an upper limit to how big a forest it can create but it is far bigger than your png file is. I had one 5000 x 5000 pixels working. Originally anything much bigger than 1k x 1k would cause errors and I had to go in to the java environment and alter the amount of memory it allocated to a compiled program. Now I would assume that this information would be carried across in a compiled program but being a pure amateur at this thing I could be wrong I guess. Would be a bit daft if it didn't.

The only problem I was aware of with a png file not being read correctly is that it needed to be surrounded by transparent pixels. If your image went right up to the edge then it would throw up an error. I'm guessing as you cropped it and it is surrounded by transparency that this wasn't the case.

Hmm, I'm a bit stumped to be honest. Do you still have the original unedited png file that wouldn't load that you can somehow post?

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast