Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me. I especially like how you're trying to learn something new with the wooden cartouche. Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is really nice representation of RobA's tutorial...nice job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'll throw in as another impressed onlooker. I like the color changes, very subtle and easy on the eyes and the fonts look good too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Anyone have any advise on doing the bedevil effects on the rivers?

Guild Applicant

I stumbled across this while looking for some means of making a map for my minis, and I have to say that it is a great tutorial.

This was my nearly finished crack at it. I don't really like how the mountains turned out, nor do I really like the font (but I rushed that at the end).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	667.2 KB 
ID:	14138  

I think your mtns looks pretty good, I've seen a lot of fails with this style but yours look pretty dern cool.

Guild Apprentice

Hey Everybody,
    I have a bit of a problem. After I use the magic wand to select the land in the beginning, and i put the "Land Mask" Layer on top of it, It is just white with the selection markers showing up through it. There is no black for the ocean. Its kind of hard to explain, so here's a screenie. Any help would be great!

ty, Blackmojo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	14868  

@Karro - bingo! that is how to do it easiest!

@BlackMojo - the land mask isn't a layer, it is a layer with a mask (right click on the new layer and add a layer mask using the current selection option)... but not sure of the exact step...?

-Rob A>

Guild Apprentice

So let me get this straight... I invert the selection so that I have the white land selected in the "Land Clip" layer, then I press the New Layer button (and name that layer "Land Mask"), Fill the new layer with white, and then right click the layer icon to add a mask? What kind of mask should i do? there is a list when i right click.

Guild Novice

@ Blackmojo: You want to use the magic wand to select all the non-white parts, then you invert the selection then you save the selection to a channel. This will be your land mask.

@ karro: I guess I knew how to do it, it's just that layer masks are giving me a headache.

The only thing you can apply to a layer mask is a channel, and you can't really convert a layer into a channel, you can only convert a selection into a channel. And you can't copy a layer mask from one layer to another, so if I end up editing a layer mask and I have several layers that use that mask, I can't copy it to the other layers. It appears when you duplicate a layer, the layer mask is copied along with it, but that's the only way I know of to copy a layer mask.

What I ended up doing for the water is copy-pasting my grass layer mask (which is where my rivers and lake is), bluring it and using that as a bump map to apply to a 50% gray layer.

So here's a copy of my map as it is now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeryth2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	14880

I'm not real happy with the border...I'll have to fiddle with it some more.

Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast