Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

RobA - Fantastic and thanks. All of us GIMP noobies really appreciate the time and effort that went into this.

Quick question: Where is Pyandon's city map tutorial? I can't find it...

Uhmm how? I would love to give him some rep.. for his work and the fact that he's from Ontario! Makes me homesick.

Question A question...

Hi,

I'm a gimp newbie and there is something I do not understand, regarding one of the first steps (as quoted and marked in blue):

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Post 4: I have an idea – part 2

Now Invert the selection (Select->Invert), create a new black layer called “Land Mask” and fill the selection with white. Now save the selection to a Channel (Select->Save to Channel) and rename the channel to “Land Mask”. This will be used a fit bit later.
    Attachment 1431

Now clear the selection (Select->None).
    I am not able to fill the selection with white. I've selected the land area with the wand as mentioned above (in the tutorial), but with the bucket fill tool I can only fill the sea part with white color...

Where is the "marching ants" selection outline? Still around the dark sea? When you invert the selection the marching ants should be surrounding the land area. Make sure it inverted correctly.

And as a quick-tip, you can just drag from the colour-box directly to the canvas, rather than using the paintbucket tool.

-Rob A>

After inverting the selected area the "marching ants" did not surround the land area... but now they do. My mistake: I have selected the land area with the magic wand and after inverting selection the selected area changed to the sea area.

Question

Now I want to create the mountains and I'm here in the tutorial:

Now we want to create a heightfield from this. The easiest way I have found to do this is to copy the current visible image (Edit->Copy Visible) then paste it (CTRL-V) to a floating selection. Click the New Layer button to get it on its own layer rather than a floating layer.
    But always when I click an the New Layer button I get the following Error message:

Cannot create a new layer from the floating selection because it belongs to a layer mask or channel.

Quote Originally Posted by tannjew View Post
    Now I want to create the mountains and I'm here in the tutorial:

But always when I click an the New Layer button I get the following Error message:

Cannot create a new layer from the floating selection because it belongs to a layer mask or channel.
    I think you are doing the "Copy Visible" while having the layer mask selected on a layer. Try selecting a different layer (or at least not the layer mask) before the "Copy Visible"

-Rob A>

This tutorial is brilliant (It's actually making me think about switching to GIMP for map making), but I'm having trouble getting the mountains to look 'natural'.

By that I mean that unlike yours, which vary in elevation after the bump mapping, they just appear as raised blocks. Could it be that I need to blur them some more to show the cloud noise?

Thanks

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast