Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Craig,

I had some trouble with that too, but I realized from a screenshot that RobA was using the "sinusoidal" setting in the Bump Map filter, which makes the mountains look much better than the "linear" setting. Maybe that will help?

I only realised that after looking at one of the screens, but they still don't look anything close to the ones in the tutorial. I might restart from that point, and see if I can get better results the next time round.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help Gimp noob

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0). The larger the size, the more randomness your final coast will have. Give it a new random seed and jot down the number (I put it in the layer name afterwards as a reminder). And change the blend mode to Overlay.
    *snip image*
    I've tried this (and some steps after) over and over again in the past days, but it never really works for me
    All I get is a big square with clouds texture. Should I use the fuzzy selection before applying the filter?

I've downloaded your example file but couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

This probably sounds to easy for you, but it's the first time I'm REALLY using GIMP and its features...

No - The clouds will fill the entire screen. It is the blending mode of the layer that does the magic. Ensure the layers are in the correct order and each have the correct blending modes set.

-Rob A>

I'm sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm GIMP newbie, and have tried to follow your tutorial but encountered a problem just at the start.

I created a simple map, scanned it and opened in GIMP. I made sure it was RGB and created a new clear layer. I traced the outline and filled it black. But when I try to invert the colors the black changes to white, but the rest of the layer stays white too. I'm using GIMP 2.4.3.
    [edit] Can it be caused by transparency of the layer and thus lack of background color to invert?
    [edit2] Ok I worked around it by creating a new white layer, moving it beneath the Land layer and merging them. Then applied inversion and it worked.
    Last edited by Crymoon; 01-29-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Crymoon-

Glad you worked out something that got you the desired result!

I'll reread the steps to ensure I didn't miss something that a GIMP newbie might not know.

-Rob A>

Thanks for your answer. I have forgotten to mention in the first post, although it was to be in the first line, how great the tutorial is. I'm now playing with grass and it looks better and better with each minute. And as I said I'm GIMP newbie (to be exact this is my first time trying doing something really useful with it).

I must congratulate you on your work.

This is a great tutorial, no doubt. I'm having a problem, though. Being a complete newbie at graphics I can follow the steps closely (that's difficult enough, already!), but more often than not I have no idea what I'm actually doing. This makes adjusting the steps to suit my own needs very hard.
    Does anyone know of an intermediate but general GIMP tutorial? I know about basic procedures, using brushes, selection, copy-paste and all that, but an "alpha layer", the settings to most filters (and what the filters actually do), a floating layer etc. are quite a mystery to me.

For general GIMP stuff, try http://www.gimptalk.com/

Also, if you have the time and bandwidth, I'd also recommend the Meet the GIMP podcast (http://meetthegimp.org/) . There is a lot of focus on photo editing, but it will cover the basics of layers, adjustments, what the tools do, etc.

-Rob A>

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast