Size:	622.4 KB 
ID:	30104

Cloverfield vs Statue of Liberty (1)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sol 1.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	30103

Cloverfield vs Statue of Liberty (2) - this I hope to have flying over the map

Name:	sol 2.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	30105

The WotW Tripods (2005) vs Bayonne Bridge

Name:	bayonne.png 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	30106
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Crayons - your artwork is awesome - I just hope you have enough time to piece it all together into a badass map (that I may actually buy)

Thanks! I should be OK for time, there's only 4 more inserts to do.
    I was looking at your hip-hop map earlier (lookin' good there! love the brickwork idea!). It occurs to me that my street map only really needs the "major" streets/avenues of Manhatten but I'm not all that sure what New Yorkers consider the "main" ones? You've selected a few salient looking roads for your map, are these the ones I'm looking for too?
    Anyone?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

I selected the streets that were relevant to the map. Most New Yorkers will probably question them - however the old school hip hoppers will know the streets well.

I thought I ought to run a quick "check" on the theory of the whole thing by doing a quick layout despite having 4 more inserts to do.
    This one tries to put the cartoons as close to the physical locations on the map as possible and I think you'll agree - it's a complete shambles!!! Aside from the confusion, it accentuates the difference in the perspective "views" of each thing. (The text/key for this scheme would have been around the edges....)
    Also, in resizing some of the cartoons, the line widths need thickening up again...
    I'm posting it anway as a "stage" in the progress of this thing and an example of "how not to" I suppose!
    Elements like the streets and anything in red are just rough sketched at the moment.
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	TEST1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	30121
    <Drag and drop to Recycle Bin!>
    --

My Finished Stuff

My suggestion would be to import all the line art into illustrator, then auto-trace it. Then you have vector outlines you can resize. If you don't have Ill, there are other free tracing programs out there, just not sure the names of them.

Now THAT is something I did not know about! You live and learn!
    I have Inkscape - installed but never used yet - which can do it. I need to investigate a method from there. For a quick test my PSP X can't read the svg outputs of Inkscape (plain or Inkscape) - for example. It's probably best that I stick with PSP as the main tool given the time constraints!
    Good advice! Repped!
    --

My Finished Stuff

OK
    This is what I'm planning to use as the main map element of the thing.
    Since the map is about the real contemporary New York I'm thinking of keeping the detail to the amount necessary for a Tourist Guide - the sort of thing you might buy in a Tourist Information Office or find with all that other crud in your hotel room.

This version has the streets and "incident" locations and addresses marked - I think it's enough information for a tourist to find the locations? Any New Yorkers here got any comments about that?
    Hrm - it'd be better if I marked the closest subway stations too. Damn, more research!

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	manhatten final 4.png 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	30143
    --

My Finished Stuff

Hrm... the silence is rather ominous... hit me with the critiques guys! Please???

I've about done all the cartoons, just one to do - Cloverfield dropkicking Miss Liberty's head...
    Right now I'm juggling text vs cartoon size vs available space vs pointers to the locations and it's painful. I've got to cut the text down - the map is going to be more full than I thought if I want the fonts this size...
    still very WIP - I'm pushing text and images around on different layers trying to organise this... I'm no graphic designer tho!
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	TEST2.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.77 MB 
ID:	30188
    the cartoons will get a white background when finalised.

Oh, and I added some relevant subway stations. I wish the station names were a bit more distinctive.
    --

My Finished Stuff

Sorry for no response to last update.. And you are going to change the colours, right? ^^' I mean.. Light blue and grey? Eh? xD Anyway, the drawings still look great. The text could probably be shortened down a bit..? And you got The Scream all over the map! I'm proud of being Norwegian right now

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast