Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: Favorite Sites of "Nasties" in NY Moviedom

Mayhaps a slight 'glow' around the lettering? Something to help someone to see/read them?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I'm not feelin' it so far. What was your idea behind the colours?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Colours. Argh.
    Simplistic reasons really. It's a city, so grey. It's water, so blue. Keep them light to allow stuff on top to show better.
    Red text in Chiller font, blood and so on.
    Dark blue for subway stations, it seems to be kinda standard.
    It's a utilitarian approach, I suppose. In the back of my mind I have that tourist map thing. One of those fold out things in about A4 size you get from a tourist information centre. SImple colours for clarity and cheap printing.

You're right, colours. Hrm, back in a tic...

(The subway station symbol is tunnel shaped with "The Scream" for a bit of fun. )
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Bayonne Bridge has an "it's" for "its" error. If you're still switching text around in general, I'll hold off on checking the rest for now. I don't really like the red lettering. That'd be a fine font if you were doing slasher horror locations, but these are largely monster films. Something a little less "spattery" in green would be my choice. You might also want to see if you can thin down the line between land and water (depending on the colors you use for land, you might not really need a line at all), because where the line crosses your drawings right now, it detracts a bit from those wonderful monster+building pics.

"It's" and "its" always catch me out however hard I concentrate! Thanks!
    I'm probably going to reduce the font size to ease the crowding and reduce the amount of text to a minimum for the smaller buildings - enough to remind people what it is they're looking at without any of the embellishment.
    The "idea" (such as it is!) is to wipe out the map underneath the text and cartoons much like this (after improving the text layout that is)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEST3.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	793.5 KB 
ID:	30193
    which removes a lot of the "blank" areas of the map. That sort of effect will have to be at the end once the layout is done.

I'm still agonising over colours and whether to bang in a texture for the background map. I'm favouring taking the blue away from the sort of primary pale Cyan towards a more "complex" blue, still light but veering towards turquoise. The grey I can't really figure an alternative to. It is "city colour" and it acts as a balance for the brighter text and contrasty cartoons. Green font might lead me elsewhere...
    I still like the Chiller font here as it has that oldies movies feel to it but as you say, it's "slasher" not "monster". Old monster movie posters have that stentorian sort of bold capitals.
    You've given me a load to think about, thanks guys!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

I've been playing. Trying our some ideas like swatches. The main title font is a more "B Movie" style I rather liked.

Name:	TEST4.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	30195
    --

My Finished Stuff

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the text in the right-most 'box', it is by far the easiest to read and for me it just plain looks better.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Agreed. Simpler is better, I think you could just replace all text in the box (except the upper header) with a plain font. Probably arial or something. And by using lower case letters the text will be alot easier to read and people will focus more on the illustrations.

Point taken. I'm not a great fan of Arial for this sort of thing. I think I've come up with a legible font that fits with the style (Amiene).
    That said, I've not done a map like this before anyway, so... comments would be much appreciated - if not always followed to the letter (or font!)

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	manhatten final 13.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	30225

It's rather shambolic, which I sort of like, but then again, I don't have the skills of a Graphic Designer, so...

EDIT: Ah crud! I just noticed that whopper of an error in the left corner. Doh!

BTW: I'm trying a 128 colour optimised palette PNG file here so it's a bit squiffy
    Last edited by Crayons; 10-18-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: addendum
    --

My Finished Stuff

I'm still fiddling with other methods and/or looks for this. I may post a few if you can spare the time to peruse? It may be the best version has elements of different proposals. Your help is very much needed. For example - if you still feel the font is not legible enough, I wanna hear it! The source document is massive and has about 30 layers so I can mess around with lots of things still.
    cheers!
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	manhatten final 21.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	30244
    (not so much "latest" as "alternate")
    --

My Finished Stuff

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast