Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: September/October Entry: Valley of the Fey Prince.

Thanks for the advice DJ, which follows on from the previous comments. What you have made me realise though is that I really need a point of interest about two thirds of the way up the image. Ideally it would also be two thirds of the way to the right as well to balance the castle & rock, bottom left. But the river is there. So I will have to come in a bit.

I think that I need to put a big important building, with a light coloured roof in the center of town. Remove that gray boulder which I now realise is too heavy. I also need to remove those big U-shaped buildings and replace them with smaller inobtrusive houses.

Darkening the grass and pages will also help the town to pop. Cool. Thanks again DJ, Jt & SG

PS. @ DJ I think I will wait until after the challenge finishes, before asking you to send me your version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valley of the Fey Prince  WIP H.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	29812  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 09-29-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Default The Faerie Tale That Never Was...

Here is the latest update. I have made the changes I had planned.

Thinking also about what Djekspek said about the eye being drawn to the bright house on the dark rock. I moved the house so it blends with the rock and doesn't divert the eye. That might have been what Katto saw as wierd in my earlier WIP.

The darker landscape now contrasts with the buildings, so I am please with that. I think I have lost some of the Faerie "lightness" I was trying to achieve, but hopefully the piece looks better anyhow.

Edit: After looking back at this post I am considering removing that cross shaped building on the right of the river. I don't think it adds anything.
    Any other commentary of feedback is welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Valley of the Fey Prince  WIP J.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	29829  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-01-2010 at 02:18 AM.

I think I preferred the lighter grass you were using earlier, but this is very nice.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's really looking great now. Maybe it's me but the river looks like it's "domed" above the banks. maybe a strip of fuzzy darker color down the middle? Oh and Ava says I have to vote for this one..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good Aval, very nice entry... the river needs a little more depth perhaps?

in referring to jtougas note about "Ava says I have to vote for this one", my teacher said yesterday ... 9 out of 10 decision to buy stuff is dedided by the wife, the rest by the kids *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looks great I'm starting to doubt on my Ruinville-map x)

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at this map again after the weekend, and see if I can make a little better.

Default The Faerie Tale That Never Was.

This could be the final version. I made some tweaks based on the feedback. Thanks to every one who has commented.

I am going to use this in my role-playing game. The players will find the book, and as I know one of the characters is obsessed with faerie tales and legends, she will want to read it to the party.

In my campaign Aval Penworth is a character from a famous series of books. At least two of the players are well aware of this and will hopefully be intrigued by a book written by a character from a book! That night they will all dream that they have been transported to the valley. They will wake the next day and continue their normal adventures. The next night a magical sleep will transport them to the valley where the people will ask them to embark on a quest.

This way I get to run two diverse campaigns for a little while. And while in the faerie tale the party won't have their magical weapons and wonderous machines. I get to take the party back to basics, but also run high powered the next week. I would not have thought of it, but for this challenge. Huzzah.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Valley of the Fey Prince  WIP L.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	30109  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome !! Great map and great gaming idea I love that kind of "side" adventure
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234