Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Winding Warrens

Map The Winding Warrens

I've been here a few days and figured I may as well post something. This cavern complex is called the Winding Warrens--something that I did few years back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic Cave Complex #2.bmp 
Views:	294 
Size:	6.71 MB 
ID:	1776  

Very nice - appeals to my old school heart. Cavern complexes are one of my favorite parts of any dungeon complex. It can be hard to get caverns to play nicely with a grid though, no matter what tool you are using (not that I have a vast knowledge of other tools). In my Undermountain WIP I've been struggling to get CC3 to do what I want when it comes to caverns and grids, but I think I've come up with a good solution.

What software did you use to make this?
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

This map was done about three years ago. Frankly, I'm embarassed to say what software I used. It was just something to do while waiting for some other things to happen.

Anyway, it was done using Microsoft Paint. Yes, Paint.

Needless to say it took a LONG time. Although, by the end, I had devised several shortcuts to speed the process.

Ah...time you moved up to Photoshop or Gimp then! Somewhere on this board is frankly the most amazing mapping done in paint, but I dread to think how long it must have taken the artist. It's also really worth investing in a tablet and pen which these days are not that expensive - and besides, Christmas is coming!

Cartographist, are you planning/hoping to edit these out of Paint and into another program, or are you just sharing? Just curious as to what you plan to do with it.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Pyrnadon - Just posting to share, although I am always interested in pushing my limits. So I guess that I am considering moving it (and others) into another program.

Ultimately, Paint is obviously a very simple program, but for a long time, it was all I was familiar with, and if there is one thing about me it is that I typically don't change unless there's real reason to do so. There's something about its simplicity that I like. Also, I was always too lazy to look for any free software that might be better. [I think that familiarity and inertia have always stopped me from upgrading.]

Ravells had mentioned that I might invest in a tablet--I did that about a year ago. So, to me, a tablet and Paint is just like drawing on a piece of paper. If one is willing (and stubborn enough), that is all you need, right?

RobA - Appreciate the rep.

please, please, please, Cartographist...try Gimp and inkscape...their free and worth a play with. Paint is simple (which is good) but it's also very limited (not so good) and it can be labourious to get the result you want.

Yes, I agree: try GIMP at the very least. Within 2 hours of playing you will be amazed at what you can do! It's like Paint on nuclear-powered space sterioids!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Or paint.net which I have played with and liked, but at the time had no transparent png support. (Now it does).

Also, you need to install the M$oft .NET giant bloatware framework monstrosity, but many people already have that installed.

But, FWIW, I agree with Don and Ravs - Try the GIMP (It is what I primarily use) and it supports tablet pressure sensitivity (which paint doesn't )

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast