Hmmmmmm...

Interesting read - thanks for posting that. Without seeing the map in question (the one from that thread), I can't compare what I have done to that guy's.... but I'm 100% positive Mr. Shley would have issue with it (when I say 'textures', I really mean I made patterns with his terrain features).

Not sure what to do with this thing now - its 95% complete and was a great deal of work. Basically, it looks like Mr. Shley himself extended the map of Nentir Vale (from the 4e D&D DMG) a few hundred miles outward. Except for swapping-out his icons for mine (mine are prettier ), and adding-in four locales, the entire center of the map is his.

The idea was to place the Nentir Vale region within the Forgotten Realms setting, without disturbing any of the elements or lore from either setting. I have been making maps using the terrain from the official 3e FR map for quite some time - and ALL of the WotC designers are aware of them (and several use them - mine are more accurate), and I have NEVER been asked to remove any of them from anywhere (I did have one removed from DeviantART, but only because it contained a locale from an R.A.Salvatore novel, which was a completely different issue). In fact, THREE of the locales on the 4e Cormyr map were created by me, and I believe Mr.Shley did that map (using my Intellectual property in the process). Note that I made an official statement on the WotC boards (and candlekeep.com) that ANYthing I include on a Forgotten Realms map is considered property of Wizards of the Coast, including my homebrew locales (thus alleviating the issue of them having to have me sign something). I've even included that statement on several of my more popular maps posted at DeviantART.

I'm not sure what to do now - at least two current WotC designers said they were"looking forward to my take" on placing Nentir Vale in the Realms (over at Candlekeep) - the idea was to get FR players interested in inserting 'core' elements into their campaigns, which helps grow their target-audience (there is a new Nentir Vale product that will be released in the near future). Nothing I do is for my own gain, and if anyone has anything to gain it would be WotC. Originally I was going to replace Mr. Shley's terrain with the 3e FR terrain I have been using (like I did with the Returned Abeir map), but his art is SO superior to the 3eFR style that I thought it would better to move forward rather then backward with this amalgam-work.

Hmph - so I sorta have permission by WotC to do this (since they are aware of what I do and what I am currently working on), but I do not want to anger an artist I think is phenomenal and respect so highly.

I'd hate to start-over - I have done so twice already.