Thread: Cartographic Terminology

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Honestly, this is more the kind of thing I was hoping to find in this thread. I'd also like to find more foreign terms with definitions, such as gebirge, erg, wadi, etc...
    I learned 'erg' and 'qanat' from Dune incidentally. (Which has a map at the end, and I think it's one of the more confusing maps I've seen in a book. When I was a kid, I kept trying to parse the round outline as the shape of the planet. Eventually I figured it out but the legend didn't really clear things up for me.)

Types of settlements: (Most of this will be obvious, but may help in determining your dot and font sizes and derivations for naming schemes should you decide to conlang)

Megalopolis - clusters of very large cities. Real world examples include such megacities as the Bay Area (SF and the surrounding cities such as San Jose, Oakland, Marin) and BosWash (the Boston to Washington DC corridor). They are usually so designated because there is such population density between these cities that they could be seen as one continuous human settlement. Not often found in fantasy environs, but certainly seen all over science fiction.)
    City - a large urban settlement, usually distinguished by size, (although in medieval times, you often needed a major structure like a palace or cathedral to be considered part of a city) and clustered about with suburbs or townships. Common real world suffixes = -Stat, -stadt, (Swedish, German) -ville (French) and citta (Italian) and -polis (greek)
    Town - smaller than a city, bigger than a village -ton, -taun, -tun, -town -stadt (again, because these are interchangeable in German) Sometimes referred to as townships, but depending on state and province, sometimes townships are smaller than towns. Towns still retain most of the urban traits of cities re: food production and population clustering.
    Burgh - districts inside cities that sometimes become independent, see also Burrough, Boro, (Sometimes confused with the Germanic -berg which means mountain or the other -burg which means castle, as in Hamburg)
    Village -smaller than town, bigger than a hamlet. We're starting to get back to agrarian communities, and villages are more likely to practise their own food production. Historically villages might have a church, but not a town hall or the larger apparatus of government. -by is a very common suffix for villages and seems to derive from the Scandanavian countries, but is seen in English speaking areas as well. (Scoresby, Maltby, etc)
    Hamlet - smaller than a village. -ham, -heim, -holm, -home (The word is derived from "home" and its variants. However, tiny hamlets can grow and become big cities, which is why you see some cities with -holm suffix)

Church territorial units: Often times religious organisations had their own cities (like the Vatican) or ways of dividing up the countryside, should they have enough power. Parishes and tithings are other smaller divisions commonly known as church territories.
    Last edited by PixelFish; 05-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.