Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Redrobes this is looking stunning! What a huge amount of work, but the results are amazing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Redrobes this is looking stunning! What a huge amount of work, but the results are amazing.
    Its a mind boggling amount of work. Monks has been at the map for ages and ages putting in all sorts of detail then there are other besides us and Seer who have contributed too. GTS was modified from a shell of a program into this huge complex beast just for this one single purpose and there's been lots of ancillary little apps that go in too like the tex compositor, cutter, blender, flow mask and file format conversions. Even the makefiles which drive the whole are huge then the main height map file format HF2 was done by Aaron of L3DT but it was the interchange between all the apps like L3DT and GM and WM and GTS etc that drove that process too so its just huge.

Anna said that for her the one thing that she needed more than anything else to make the Greyhawk maps was a kind of perseverance and tenacity. And we all agreed on that. There have been so many times where we have been facing sheer cliffs of impossibly hard climb that we have dropped the project for weeks just to recover to take the pain again and pick it back up. But now we are actually getting colored images out its starting to seem like fun and worth it all.

This is a 10K square map and the plan is to do 160K square using GTS but that requires that it gives the right results as it bumps up the res. When faced with that its just off putting to the extent that I thought if we don't get something tangible out then we would never get a grip on this. When the map for print challenge came up I thought well I don't need more clutter but it wouldn't half be a good idea to get a poster made of some of ME to put on the wall. Whether this could be an entry is debatable given the previous work and collective effort but the idea is that we *ought* to be able to have a print in any case so this is as good a time as any to get the 90% into 100% and chug this out as a starter print.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I know is an immense effort and you have a quite a ways to go. But I wonder if it would be worth it to talk to Anna (if you haven't already) about a Greyhawk map done this way, once Middle Earth is done.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

once Middle Earth is done....Sacre Bleu!!!!!..as if? hahaha

There are so many cool worlds to do- concurrently even...that's an old dream of mine. Greyhawk would be up there

monks

Blog Entries

Well at least we have the know how and tools to do it. I think Anna might be a tad upset if we did tho.

Monks - would you say our map is 2275 miles across ? Is that a pretty accurate figure ? I have taken it from other maps scale and tried to align it to ours. I am cooking up something incredibly cool again but you will have to wait but I know your going to like it heh heh...

It's 4000 km across to the T. whatever that is in miles to the gallon...

ooh! haha

Mountains half done I'd say...

monks
    Last edited by monks; 01-17-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks and nice pic - coming along nicely. I scaled up ME to that exact size and found a bug in VDale which now having looked and fixed it is really obscure - like had to have a child icon at a -ve position rounded to exact multiple of 100 miles and it loads it up wrong. Fixed now but that was a surprise. Anyway, continuing with my mystery cool thing...

Looking reaallly great Monks,

RR, how dare you, I hate mysteries, I cast a pox of stale ale reeking bogs upon thee!,,,,not really, though I will spend untold hours trying to guess what you are up to and still be wrong.

The FHCO have been busy with xfrog making trees and plants, I just have to find time to convert the pics and upload them to snapgallows, truly otherworldy things they make.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

The hills mask has gone in.
    I'm going to add gentle undulating noise to everywhere bar the mountains. then a smaller scale noise likewise. this saves you doing it Robes. WM has the advanced perlin which really excels as this multifractal stuff. I'd still rather do that stuff by hand but time presses on.

At the moment the terrain has a little preview erosion going on in WM in realtime, but I'll take this off before exporting.

I think I'll put the stone fields in as well- use a mutilfractal breakup.

monks

Just realised, I think I'll have to subtract the rivers mask from the hills mask. I used a blur on the hills mask within WM which may cause problems for rivers.- don't know yet. REMIND ME!

monks

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast