Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Blog Entries

You might have to be careful with the subtraction. Wont you get a big dip in the flat lands too ?

I am just smoothing out the last problems with my new stages to the makefile... ok so its not all that exciting but its another thing that needed to be done.

No, I mean multiplying the binary masks. It won't affect height, just xy.

monks

Blog Entries

Ahh right yes I see now.

I have been doing place names. Instead of using VDale to put them in I thought that it would be much better to have a solution which is more independent and allows greater flexibility since VDale has one font which has pros and cons but I think for a fixed printed map the cons outweigh the pros in this case.

So what I have put together is a text based list of place names and index them in by position in miles - hence the request. Also, you can specify the type of name and size. So right now all I have is 10 size levels. The font is rendered with a halo of the background color to it which fades out.

So the end product is another 10K image - thats 3 now for color, lighting and placenames. Putting all 3 into VDale is slowing it up a little now cos thats 300 x 1024 x 1024 images its pushing around which is quite a lot. Still, it prints out just fine.

So here are some images. All we need to do now is add all the names and the coords for them. Not an insignificant task I admit but then nothing is with this project eh ?

I have integrated this into the make system so that if the places text file changes then it reimages all the names and makes all the tiles for them again. That, like the rest of the make system, is just wonderful. God I love GNUMake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	9427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	9428  

Cool! I like the font as well. There is an ICE font if you look on the net in the right places. Fan modules group had one I know that, but this is very nice too.
    Was in the studio yesterday. Back in Middle Earth now haha. Onwards...carpe diem.

monks

You can see the effect of the new multiply shaving the blur off the hill extents. Note that the river bed does not slip below the original height. Good job I thought of that!

monks

Blog Entries

Thats good stuff. It will be interesting to see the new mountains.

hmm the new mountains ain't THAT great if you compere them to the Misty range. But that full on job is for another day. I want to run the dem output from WM overnight tonight...so anything I want/ need to do has to be done today. OK Robes?

First hack at general noise- need to make some adjustments- its riding up on the hills.

monks
    Last edited by monks; 01-19-2009 at 07:34 AM.

SEER, I WANT YOU TO GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH THE GUY (ROB WAS IT?) AT NASA WHO WAS ASKING ON ME-DEM ABOUT HOSTING THIS TERRAIN.

We've got product now so......!

monks
    Last edited by monks; 01-19-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Ohh ringing in the ears now

Hey I can host some of it. I mean a 10K map is no problem and bigger is ok but when we get to 160K well then that's where its gets difficult I am still hosting a few hundred megs of terrain tiles so I can replace that at any time.

That was Bull_(UK) at the world wind forums, one of the core members there, if I remember right, I will have to pop over to the world wind tiles-xml thread at me-dem to check,,,,about 15 months back,,,,,wow it has been awhile.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast