Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Blog Entries

Created an HF2 offsetter which allows me to resample the height map you provided and reposition it into a another one so it can be rescaled to 10000 and then set into a 10240 square. That's done and running now but I need to see the results to know whether it is working or not. Its no problem for you to keep going. Its basically about 4 hrs to run from new DEM to result so we can go to the wire with changes.

Great! Today is to get some fixes in there.

monks
    Last edited by monks; 01-21-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Nice work again Monks, I have a render now....

a*se !

No Veg - gnashing of teeth... So expect another at some point with some veg on it... ho hum.

looking g reat guys, 98 meg hfz, wow, I will start downloading before I go to sleep, 12 32 pm, and look at it in GM once I wake,,,,,whoot! 1 day off this week, and it is a thursday,,,,
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Robes, is the southern coastline ok now in the latest runs? Looks like the perlins I put in over all the map may help...?

monks

Filled in some glaring gaps that i never knew were there in the hills mask. It happened because there is some duplication between the hills masks and mts mask. Some got lost in the mix.

The next update will be a fairly significant improvement.
    i'll try process it for first thing tomorrow morning.

monks

Blog Entries

Nicely done and the new render is out. Even I am starting to think it looks real cool now and I am my own worst critic. I still dont like the areas that have no veg. If they really dont have veg then it should only be sand color when the temperature is high so I don't know why its doing that. It should be dry mud if not wet mut but not sand. Will look at the texture script again. Actually just writing that I know why its doing it.... Hmmm right ok I can fix that no problem.

So here is another WIP. Critic it strongly, names, veg, too much ice and stuff like that. I am concentrating on the middle horizontal band from bottom of ice to top of desert. I think middle Mordor needs to have volcanic mask too - its set like it so its another texturing issue there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render12_small.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	899.9 KB 
ID:	9512  

Blog Entries

Just sussed that texturing issues. Little mini map here to show the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render13.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	9513  

ok, since you asked, it looks like the Province of Gondor named Lebennin is spelt Labennin.

Just north of Belfalas Bay "Angmar" appears on the map, should be Anfalas, as in Anfalas, Belfalas, and Tolfalas, which run west to east along the coast.
    Angmar is in the north of the Misty Mts,,,the big claw.

Enedhwaith, the open heath between southern Eriador and the Isen, is spelt Enedwaith on the map, needs an "h" after the "d"..

Monks, what projection and extents are you using in GM for the "Render" hfz, since the hfz file does not include that info when I open it I get a 10005 x 10005 heightfield covering less than a 2 x 2 arc degree area ,,,,,some where around 20 meter per pixel res, so pretty small coverage 200000 meters by 200000 meters total...the meta data in the control center ought to have the data,

I'll keep looking, and comparing to both the ice map and my copy of " The Complete Tolkien Companion"

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the labeling tips - ill sort that out right away.

Since the shire is supposed to be about where I live and I am at 52 deg north and ME is based on our world then it seems to be that radius is 6371km so thats 3922km at 52 deg so circumference would be 24645 and the map is 4000km across so that's 58.43 degrees of map in the middle. I don't know our map projection tho.

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast