Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Blog Entries

Monks, do you want me to generate some glacier maps from the mountain ?

Yeh, let's give it a try- I bet the erosion would completely alter the mountain but... so what? The only concern is that it takes too much off the height, so maybe respan the terrain to the pre-glacial heights if you know what I mean.
    I can upload the terrain to the ME-DEM ftp...I'll do that later.

monks

Blog Entries

If you can get me the height info then I can just do the snow and glaciers and you apply that to your model so keeping the original erosion. When I move snow about I can either erode as I go or not, it makes no difference to me.

Do you want a greyscale snow depth map or a full HF2 style water height (depth) map as the result ? Also, do you want runny snow or thick viscous style or just take my best guess ? And do you want solar directional heating applied and if so what direction - like the image lighting ?

here's the terrain I'm using:

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...0bank25TER.ter

erm, I think a .ter for snow depth. I'll be using your maps for all the snow- so I'm guessing both. I'd like to see the glaciers in there- should be cool. Stick the lighting in as well as it should mix the snowline up a bit- I'd like to take some shots of the other side of mindol as well- GTS produced some pretty interesting features on that side I remember.

monks

Blog Entries

Cool, on the go...

Just remind me, whats the peak height of Mindol and the general average temperature at ground level. I have it at about 16000ft and 18degC at mo. Thats gonna give snow about half way up as it runs at a drop of 2deg C per thousand ft.

Also, I have lost my ftp login for skindustry can you email that over at some stage as ill upload a .ter file to it later.

ftp info in the email.

hmm, ICE puts it at 10459 ft...but we can go with whatever we like..actually the ter has a range of 757 to 10436 ft...so try that for now.

monks

Blog Entries

Ta for that info. I have done it now. Ran up GTS and played about - spotted a slew of obvious bugs I thought I was using an old version. They were real. Sigh...

You can find a .ter file here:
    /Temp/Redrobes/MindolGlaciers

which should look like this if Wilbur has converted the file correctly (and I am confident it has).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	619.3 KB 
ID:	7204  

Guild Journeyer

That peak is amazing and I couldn't tell it from a real one.

The foreground drainage seems off a bit with a slight perlin pattern showing that I might be imagining.

Cheers Robes, gonna give it a go today. I'm thinking it should be inserted as a heightfield to surface shader....That looks pretty nice- yehhhh!

Meleeguy, this is really just a test- well I'm very much a learner with this software. There's a zillion things I'd like to do to this image...there are so many things!

hey Seer, are you around? I need some help on connecting up a greyscale imagemask to define rivers. I tried connecting it to a water shader but I can't see a thing....

monks
    Last edited by monks; 10-19-2008 at 08:10 AM.

not sure if this correct yet but I've got some height on the flow now- but I had to use a terrain function to add height- the glaciers looked like they were painted on otherwise. This is with 60 ft of it.
    The best way to tell would be to render an area where the rock is poking through.

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...2/render32.png

monks

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast