Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Mapping Software

Might some one have a download link, or the file to "it's full of stars" the webpage doesn't exist any more...
    Nelde Cormar Eldatárin nu Tarmenel
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic19155_1.gif

A lot of the software links in this thread are dead (all geocities links for example).

One obscure tool for creating random maps is the Dominions 2 map creating program DomMap 2.17. Currently you can get that from here, but there is no telling when that site ceases to exist, since Dominions 2 is a very old game. I may host the files myself later just to preserve them. The program itself is free and can be used as a base for creating landmass shapes, but it will require extensive editing to get anywhere.

Instructions on how to use this utility: Read the documentation that comes with it. I recommend using the following color code switches to produce a visually pleasing map where you can immediately see what's what:
    Plains: dcbe9b (220, 190, 155)
    Sea: 87afcc (135, 175, 204)
    Tundra: dcebf0 (220, 235, 240)
    Swamp: 969673 (150, 150, 115)
    Forest: 3c733c (60, 115, 60)
    Farm: d2dc73 (210, 220, 115) OR bed282 (190, 210, 130), whichever you like, but I think d2dc73 is slightly better.
    Mountain: 7d5019 (125, 80, 25)
    Waste: e6b473 (230, 180, 115, bit more faded) or e6b464 (230, 180, 100, brighter) both are relatively good
    Landborder: cd3200 (205, 50, 0)
    Seaborder: 414187 (65, 65, 135)

If you want maps with few borders, just set the number of provinces to a very low number (one sea, one land). If you want maps with ready-made borders for kingdoms, principalities, states and whatnot, pick the number you want and the program will do that for you.

The program produces the maps in .tga bitmap format, and also produces a .map file (specific to the game Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars). The map file is readable in any text editor, and contains the random seed number for the map. Running the program with the same seed value will always produce the same map, so you can write the number down for maps you like and fiddle with the color settings if you want to try something else.

Blog Entries

As far as I've seen, the only geocities-link in RobAs list is 'It's full of stars' which really is hard to find. In addition to that, the links to Greenfish Relief Map Maker and Terraform are dead. I'm going to host those files on my site (just waiting for the subdomain to be activated). I'm now recreating the 'It's full of stars' site, I'll give you the link as soon as I'm finished. If you want it, that is ... : )

Antheon
    looking for information about ifos
    "Good must co-exist with evil to have meaning. Just as light needs darkness to be seen."

Current projects: The Empyreum

Blog Entries

Please, excuse the double post but here are some "updates" to Robs list ... I will just add changes since the last update and post a "new" list probably this weekend. Enough talk, here we go ...

Serif Drawplus: New version (X4) available. In addition, I was not able to find that free version.
    Fractal Mapper 8.0: The prices are US $20/34.95/39.95 (Upgrade/Download/CD)
    Fractal Terrains Pro: The description text looks out of date to me as there is CC2 mentioned. Shouldn't there be CC3?
    Heavy Metal Map: I may be wrong but can it be that you have a duplicate of this entry right after the first one? The prices are US $29/37 (PayPal/Register now).
    Illustrator: CS5 (Adobe Illustrator Creative Suite 5) now, price: US $199/599 (Upgrade/Buy)
    Nendo: At their site I could only find Nendo 1.5 ... weird ...
    RPGMapMaker: If you want to buy the software you have to open the link in a new tab/window. Otherwise, the site will open inside that frame ... (personal note: $15,000 for the world-wide license?! *speechless*)
    ViewingDale: The price is £17.50 now
    Xara Xtreme: Latest version is Pro 5 for US $299 ($199 for people having another graphic software or something like that ...)
    Terraform: The link is broken. See below for further information.
    Greenfish Relief Map Generator: The link is broken. See below for further information.
    It's full of Stars: The link is broken. See below for further information.
    Roleplaying City Map Generator: Not mentioned here, I guess, but it doesn't really matter because the site's down too. See below for further information

For those who are searching for I'ts full of stars and other software not available anymore:
    I searched for those programs and collected them in my Skydrive Public folder. You can find it here. But be careful as I'm going to move them to my site this weekend, together with a longer software list. But for today I'm tired ... it's midnight here, so my bed is calling *laughs*

Antheon
    sleepy as always
    "Good must co-exist with evil to have meaning. Just as light needs darkness to be seen."

Current projects: The Empyreum

Thanks a ton! can't wait for that site to be up!
    Nelde Cormar Eldatárin nu Tarmenel
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic19155_1.gif

Title: Genetica Viewer and Wood Workshop
    Vendor: Spiral Graphics
    Web Site: http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/index.htm
    Type: Texture Creation
    Focus: Textures
    Platform: XP/Vista/Windows 7
    Price: Free
    Description: Genetica Viewer and Wood Workshop allow for nearly limitless random(ish) textures. Both fantastic utilities for those that like using more organic and varying textures in their maps.

Many choices. A newbie like me should love this

Default Carrara 7.2 pro in 3D Artist-mag no 17

Good News: 3D Artist has Carrara 7.2 pro full on its cover disk (no 17). Just bought it. Previously, Carrara did cost approx 500 US-$

Oh yummy, which country are you in and is it a demo version which will expire after a bit? Can't believe they're giving the whole thing away for free (but I live in hope!)

no demo but the full version with serial on the disk. Though as I can see now its only the version 7, not 7.2. Daz3d did the same with Carrara 6 last year. Customers who bought the software for the full price are a little bit upset about Daz3D's policy (have a look at the official board). But to be sincere: i appreciate it much to get Carrara that cheap

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast