Title: TwistedBrush Pro Studio
    Vendor: Pixarra
    Web Site: http://www.pixarra.com/
    Type: Raster
    Focus: Fine Art
    Platform: Windows
    Price: $99
    Description:
    A cross between Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop. Has a HUGE number of procedural natural media brushes (which scale properly by preserving density) and most of the usual filters and some not supported by PS. This software is primarily intended for drawing and painting, not photo editing as PS / Gimp are.
    Examples:
    http://help.pixarra.com/m/videos
    http://forum.pixarra.com/gallery/

Comment:
    I've only just got this software and am so far impressed. Using it in conjunction with a tablet makes it really sing. It will import layered PSD files (don't know about Gimp) but it does not have enough keyboard shortcuts (hopefully these will come in future editions), and those it does support do not mirror PS so there is some relearning required. Incredibly good value for money.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I have tried GIMP and CC3. CC3 seems a bit more user friendly and effective.

Reading through this list I was surprised to not see G-Projector. Nifty little piece of freeware from NASA that allows you to take any equirectangular map image and convert it to a different project - there are several dozen projections available. I tested it out with a simple square projection from the donjon fractal world generator, and was quite pleased.

NASA GISS: G.Projector — Global Map Projector

Edit: Another free program I've just discovered (haven't tried out yet) is Artifex Terra, a realtime landscape modeling program. Anyone here familiar with it?

Also, DAZ3D's Bryce Pro 7 and Hexagon 2.5 are both free for a limited time.
    Last edited by indigorising; 12-10-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Adding info

Thanx for the introduction to these software.
    Cheers,
    Columna Durruti

Blog Entries

Thanks ravells, I'm going to try the free version, Twisted Brush Open Studio.

Anyone use ESRI products like ArcGIS or ArcScene? Obviously not intended for use in fictional maps, and expensive with something of a learning curve. I'm mainly looking at using them because 1. I'm strudying it for real-world uses anyway and 2. it's highly robust ability to store data geographically. I.e. you could select everywhere with an altitude under X and create an ocean feature to cover it. It also has tools for calculating watersheds and such to model very realistic rivers from a set of elevation values. Overkill for most purposes I'm sure. Hopefully I'll one day have my Mars map at least partially created with Arcmap to show here.

There are a few GIS users around, but I don't know if any of them are using ESRI products. I have been lusting for CityEngine for a while, but I doubt I'll ever land a project that will justify the price tag. It would have been nice for my current job, though, where I wound up creating 3d proxy geometry for almost all of downtown New Orleans.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

This is really helpful for us newbies... Thanks for making the effort
    Osmium

Guild Novice

I want just inform that Xara Xtreme is free for Linux users. I found it more easy and stable than Inkscape.
    Last edited by liciobruno; 12-05-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liciobruno View Post
    I want just inform that Xara Xtreme is free for Linux users. I found it more easy and stable than Inkscape.
    I use Xara Designer Pro 9 and it is Xara's current flagship product, though Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 can everything you need for maps and doesn't cost nearly as much (but not free.) I've used Xara Xtreme for years, but I recently upgraded to Pro 9, which is a 64 bit application. Great toolset and like you said, very stable software.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast