Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Caravan Adventure Forum

First, wording is essential here. The cup/item can be used by *a* true king, not *the* true king. This will enable any orc king who happens upon the item to use it, thus make it more of a threat. If it is the king's uncle who hires the thief, he will be the rightful heir when the child-king dies, thus also able to use the cup/item when that happens.

If we're going to continue to use the cup, then there must be some sort of range on it. Maybe it has to stay within the primary dwelling of the king in question? In his bedchamber? Otherwise a wearable item or trinket makes more sense.

I think that the original thief should, like jtuogas says, pass on the item to someone else for transport on the caravan. Then the original thief should be caught and imprisoned, imo. This will give the PCs someone to interrogate and possibly glean some information from. In 4e it would be a skill challenge; success would give them a certain bit of information, while failure may lead them to a difficult combat encounter before learning the same information. The thief's opening monologue could be from a jail cell, confident that his guild brethren will somehow set him free.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If we stay with the cup I think that he just needs to drink from it once a day/week/month so that he doesn't have to hang it around his neck or keep it in a lockbox. It should be sort of ordinary looking so as to not look really valuable which would increase it's likelihood of being stolen. If it's got gems dripping all over it then someone's gonna want to steal it about every 30 seconds of the day. If it looks rather plain then no one would even suspect. This also makes finding it a bit more complex as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thought of the drinking from it as well... and great idea about it being once a month.. so they have to have it back before he needs to drink again
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Just thought I'd interject (dman this working days and missing the evening posts). I Like the cup idea most. Is a great visual reference, and allows for very spectacular/impressive imagary of coronations where the King takes his first 'sip' during the ceremonies when he is anointed etc. For a little more fun, think of Indiana Jones 3; Quest for the Holy Grail. The cup was an unimpressive cup. Perhaps this cup of kings is very similar (another thought, also a bit like the Stanley Cup from hockey). It initailly centuries ago started as a small, if somewhat ornate cup when the kingdom was fledgling, small and not very prosperous. But over time as the kingdom grew, so did the cup, becoming more ornate and embelished as each successive king strived to put his own mark on it. Soon, it became so burdensome (if we are taking solid gold here, or even silver it could become quite heavy), that the ceremonial act of drinking from the cup (at least during ceremonies) required attendants to simply bring out the cup and assist the king so that he did not embarrass himself by 'spilling' the drink on himself.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think that it would be best if the "Uncle" was the BBEG. Otherwise, if it needs be a "true King" who can use it , the evil dude will have to kill all of those ahead of him in the succession. I also love the idea of the Cup being used in the coronation to legitimize the new King (or Queen), and if the King is a "Chosen of the Gods to Rule" that would explain the need for regular use of the Cup in say a monthly Replenishing of the Covenent. I also like the idea that it would added too by subsequent holders, but if it gets oo big it would make it real hard to steal. Anothere thought is that "Cup" can be what it was initially, but with the additions could have changed to something altogether different. Thinking a smallish cup or wine glass sort of thing, and ppl adding to the stem to the point where the Cup is now more of a rod with the Cup at the top.

Anyhoot gotta go (work) will post more later...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

How about this idea for how and why:

Kingdom was found at place X.
    Original use of cup tied to place X.
    Capital moved to Place Y due to _______(ummm I don't know.. I can't be too serious unless you have a period where the was no king due to not being able to reach place X).
    Each year on the summer solstice(fit some specific date in here), the king must drink from the cup while at place X or lose his right to be king.

This scenario ALSO could lead to a future adventure where an army wants to invade and thus use an opportunity to steal the cup during the travel period to depose the king. Of one of several other scenarios. This also provides continuity and plot hooks between adventures(I would suggest any follow on adventure be somewhat different in nature though and quite a number of levels higher.) For example, instead of the cup being stolen, perhaps a doppleganger has replaced himself as king and the hero's have to intercept him before he can be anointed king. Of course, only a few people know he is not the king and the players have to figure out a way to subtly expose him prior to the big day. This would be quite a bit different from the original adventure but still have ties back and continuity.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's my sketch for the boy-king. I did it this morning while eating breakfast at work. My sister says the throne is too big...bah, I hate it when she's right. Anyway, not great but it has been 20 years since I've done this sort of thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boy-king-sketch.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	866.9 KB 
ID:	34605  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's not bad I just hate the Peter Pan tights!! I can try a sketch out myself later and see if I can come up with anything.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I think that it would be best if the "Uncle" was the BBEG. Otherwise, if it needs be a "true King" who can use it , the evil dude will have to kill all of those ahead of him in the succession. I also love the idea of the Cup being used in the coronation to legitimize the new King (or Queen), and if the King is a "Chosen of the Gods to Rule" that would explain the need for regular use of the Cup in say a monthly Replenishing of the Covenent. I also like the idea that it would added too by subsequent holders, but if it gets oo big it would make it real hard to steal. Anothere thought is that "Cup" can be what it was initially, but with the additions could have changed to something altogether different. Thinking a smallish cup or wine glass sort of thing, and ppl adding to the stem to the point where the Cup is now more of a rod with the Cup at the top.

Anyhoot gotta go (work) will post more later...
    Think Forgotten Realms. Bruenor Battlehammer is king of the dwarves. Obould Many-Arrows is king of the orcs. Both are true kings in their own right, but if Obould got hold of something that belonged to Bruenor, bad things would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    How about this idea for how and why:

Kingdom was found at place X.
    Original use of cup tied to place X.
    Capital moved to Place Y due to _______(ummm I don't know.. I can't be too serious unless you have a period where the was no king due to not being able to reach place X).
    Each year on the summer solstice(fit some specific date in here), the king must drink from the cup while at place X or lose his right to be king.

This scenario ALSO could lead to a future adventure where an army wants to invade and thus use an opportunity to steal the cup during the travel period to depose the king. Of one of several other scenarios. This also provides continuity and plot hooks between adventures(I would suggest any follow on adventure be somewhat different in nature though and quite a number of levels higher.) For example, instead of the cup being stolen, perhaps a doppleganger has replaced himself as king and the hero's have to intercept him before he can be anointed king. Of course, only a few people know he is not the king and the players have to figure out a way to subtly expose him prior to the big day. This would be quite a bit different from the original adventure but still have ties back and continuity.
    I find myself groaning at the thought of dopplegangers. You're right though, that would be a totally different direction from the original. (Please don't take my groaning as me being a jerk... I always respect input and opinions. It's more like a bad joke kind of groan. )

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's my sketch for the boy-king. I did it this morning while eating breakfast at work. My sister says the throne is too big...bah, I hate it when she's right. Anyway, not great but it has been 20 years since I've done this sort of thing.
    Looks like you're off to a great start!

Guild Journeyer

I very much approve of this idea and will be pleased to help

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast