Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Caravan Adventure Forum

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    I agree. We should finalize the outline so we can start on the encounters. I have no ego here just so everybody knows. It's been quite a few years since I've written anything that has to make sense in a game environment (mostly everything I've written is short story fiction that I can bend to whatever I need) so whatever makes the most sense for a game and will be interesting to the purchaser is fine with me.
    Ditto.... I do feel rather strongly about a 1st level group probably NOT getting a hold of an artifact, even if it's one they can't use(players can surprise you and go mercenary... selling the artifact to the highest bidder.) In a new group, a good GM can better tell if this is possible after several sessions with the group as opposed to the very first session. Another thing to think about here is the whole "we saved a kings artifact on our first mission... what can we do to top that??" effect.... IMHO, players should feel like they are building up to epic adventures.

I would personally drag out the story for several levels before having them find the artifact. In "game time" that can realistically still happen in just several days worth of adventuring without much problem. Anyhoo.... It won't be disappointed if none of my ideas are used, just throwing out how I tend to think of DMing to try to link stories together and have them tied up.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The one thing that I feel pretty strongly about is the "series" idea I always liked the old school modules that would start you out in one type of adventure and build up to a exciting climax. I think this story "arc" has that potential as well.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Oh and thanks for the rep IG
    You're welcome... you deserve it.

Blog Entries

Have any decisions been made with this?. I'd like to keep writing before I lose my ever so fragile mojo.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sorry - been way to busy with real life this last week
    Now I've tried to read through this thread again, although my kids are making it a little hard by talking to me all the while, but its sunday and they should be allowed some fun *lol* ... we've gone back and forth on these ideas I agree so I'll just summerize a little of the story as I see it - I've just picked a little here and there

1. cup stolen
    2. players are at market
    3. show of strenghts in games (to make sure they are noticed by the steward)
    4. brawl in market (optional encounter)
    5. prison encounter (a note of what would happen if the players go out of control)
    6. steward hires characters since his normal discreet men are out to investigate some border problems
    7. characters joins caravan
    8. investigation in progress
    9. caravan attacked (pursue stolen wagon or save the caravan people)
    10a. if wagon pursued - fight robbers (cup not here)
    10b. if wagon not pursued - fight raiders (cup not here)
    11a. return to caravan - dead and hurt people - 3 wagons stolen
    11b. pursue lost wagon - find secret compartment exposed
    12a. pursue lost wagons - find secret compartment exposed
    13. track robbers
    14. fight robbers
    15. get cup
    16. return cup to kingdom

this is how I see the original - stand-alone adventure proposed. The story arc ends here with the cup returned.
    However, the fear of players stealing the cup and selling it have been raised - and I agree that especially with 1st level adventurers this could be a problem not forseen. I think that we can stop the players by having the steward explain to them that his normal trouble shooters will return soon AND tell them how competent they are at tracking and finding the guilty, and him talking about how the guilty robbers should spend eternity in jail.

The problem with not making the cup the story for the first scenario is this: As the cup was the target, why would the thief steal more and thus make it harder to get away? And if he doesn't steal more, why would they go after the caravan if not for the cup? And we can't hire them as guards as they wouldn't return to the city. So in my eyes - the cup story IS the complete story arc for this scenario. Then we could continue with investigating WHO was after the cup and perhaps stop an invasion in scenario 4

If there isn't any big criticisms of this I'll put it to a vote (if needed)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Sounds right to me.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Sounds good. It's got just about everyone's ideas in it and it all comes together nicely.

Finished Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I agree. Nice summary.

Might be a good thing if the Cup returns for the 4th installment
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

As I've just gotten a couple of Cars 2 activity books to work on (with the pending release of the movie) I won't be here much the next couple of days - but I'll be back and do some whip-cracking soon *hehe*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Blog Entries

hi all - sorry for my long abscence, real life just slammed me in the jaw, threw me in the trunk and drove me off a cliff. But I'm back now and I can see everybody is still busy... not...

well, maybe a quick roll call to see who is still onboard?
    regs tilt

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast