Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cup Of Kings (Magical Item)

Wip Mock-Cups

Well, I had started scribbling out some ideas on the "Cup" item. Nothing too time consuming because we haven't nailed anything down yet. I did burn a little time coloring these just because I felt like it and was bored. This is just to get some discussion going on what we want this to look like.

The first one is what I get from the description we have so far. Personally, I think it's a little boring. I could draw it up fancy like and it might look a little better but I doubt as a handout any players are going to be saying, "Whoa, that's cool looking!" If I'm visualizing it wrong let me know and I'll give it another scribble.

The others are all just ideas that came along at one point or another as we were hashing ideas out in the forum or as I was doing the mockups they just popped out.

It seems to me the whole thing we have going on here is a bit earthy and as such I kind of like the gnarled wood look. As for the names being inscribed I didn't worry about that but if we get into making a more detailed drawing that can be indicated there.

Also, it would be easy to change the color of the Cup portion if we chose to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MockCups.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	34665  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that horn, coolness. Might not be the way it's written up but I dig it a lot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

bahaha I mean no offense or anything I love the drawings but the on on the top left looks like a plunger... just saying haha but all jokes aside i like where this is heading!
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

LOL, I knew it was familiar As I said, I don't care for it much myself but it did say Ruby glass on end of Golden rod basically so well, that's just how I saw it. I hope I'm seeing it wrong too because if not I don't think even fancying up the image and doing it full size is going to make it look a whole lot better.

Oh, and feel free to laugh as much as you like, these are just quick sketches to get ideas out there. This isn't about critiquing artistic ability or anything so I for one am not going to get offended. Now, if I made this for the full deal and spent days on it well, then maybe. If these make us laugh, all the more fun but they also will help us to narrow down what we want our final product to look like before we spend too much time on any one design.

@Ascension - I like that horn too. I have something similar in my freezer for drinking beer but of course it's ceramic. Used to belong to my dad and unfortunately it's mate got destroyed. I was thinking well, what if the thing used to drink from was like the horn of a Minataur? And there you have it.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-27-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

hmmmmmm....didn't think of the Plunger visual when I came up with that description.....but I can see it now.....

And I do like the horn too.......and I like the texture on the silver one next to the gold...maybe adding that to it would make it seem more....."cool"

it is supposed to be an "amber crystal" and longer than wide.....but good proof of concept art. Thanks Jax
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Ah, where did I get Ruby colored? Maybe it was from my fever when I was sick while I worked on it. *shrug*

Ok, I realize I am a little late to the party on this one, but I have a couple of observations.

First, I like the horn, and I think the description of the cup should be changed to match. Whatever image we use, the description can easily be changed to match.

Second, and more importantly, I think we're over-complicating this with the cup.
    • Why does a deity have to be involved? Deities mean pantheon, and that brings up a whole other discussion that really doesn't need to be had at the moment. Why can't the cup have been created by an ancient sorcerer or druid, perhaps as a peace offering to a long-ago king?
    • Having to be in the right place at the right time to partake of the cup's offering drastically reduces the chance of any orc king (or other monstrous race) "accidentally" reaping the rewards, thus greatly reducing the threat and the scope of this adventure (assuming we're going down that road). Requiring the previous recipient of the cup's gifts to be deceased put us in that same boat; obviously we don't want the child-king to die, but we still want the threat of someone else using the cup. Obviously the child-king would have to die in order for the evil uncle to use the cup because, unless he's a king in some other land, that is the only way that Uncle would be considered a rightful heir to the kingdom. But for the orc king, there need not be such a requirement; he is already a king to his people.

I really like the imagery of an ancient druidic circle presenting presenting the horn-cup to a well respected past king. Perhaps one that has successfully defended the land, and the druids, from a monstrous invasion... and this is their way of acknowledging his reign.

There's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

-IG

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    Ok, I realize I am a little late to the party on this one, but I have a couple of observations.

First, I like the horn, and I think the description of the cup should be changed to match. Whatever image we use, the description can easily be changed to match.

Second, and more importantly, I think we're over-complicating this with the cup.
    • Why does a deity have to be involved? Deities mean pantheon, and that brings up a whole other discussion that really doesn't need to be had at the moment. Why can't the cup have been created by an ancient sorcerer or druid, perhaps as a peace offering to a long-ago king?
    • Having to be in the right place at the right time to partake of the cup's offering drastically reduces the chance of any orc king (or other monstrous race) "accidentally" reaping the rewards, thus greatly reducing the threat and the scope of this adventure (assuming we're going down that road). Requiring the previous recipient of the cup's gifts to be deceased put us in that same boat; obviously we don't want the child-king to die, but we still want the threat of someone else using the cup. Obviously the child-king would have to die in order for the evil uncle to use the cup because, unless he's a king in some other land, that is the only way that Uncle would be considered a rightful heir to the kingdom. But for the orc king, there need not be such a requirement; he is already a king to his people.

I really like the imagery of an ancient druidic circle presenting presenting the horn-cup to a well respected past king. Perhaps one that has successfully defended the land, and the druids, from a monstrous invasion... and this is their way of acknowledging his reign.

There's my two cents. Take it or leave it.

-IG
    That all sounds good. Stay tuned for a revised outline.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I like it IG - it simplifies everything down. I think it would be a good move. For some of us old time gamers we forget how tough it can be to play a Pen & Paper game for the first time and to build in too much might just overwhelm. What if the GM is also new? That's even worse because in my experience he's the only one who actually knows all the rules. We might do well to imagine the group doesn't have a bookshelf full of manuals. Perhaps, only 1 or 2 and keep things as simple as possible. If we get good encouragement after it's all said and done then we can start laying down the elaborate series.

For the record, I have never played using any God Pantheons or such. I also do not use Magic in my worlds. There are things people don't understand, sure, and Ultra Technology which could fill the space for Magic but I just like having a more scientific background to my universe. I guess I'm just saying I'm fine with dropping the God thing but I can understand how others could want it.

Edit: Just to make sure, we are talking the bottom left "Horn" cup, yes? If so I can work on a better drawing for it.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have no problem with omitting the "God" aspect of this. I wrote it merely to explain the origins of the cup (or horn as it looks like it's going to be). I have never played in a "magic free" RPG (although I have to say it sounds interesting). I agree with Jax on making this as simple as possible for people to pick up and use as well.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast