Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Underground Maps

Very nice... while I would go darker in some places, it is VERY easy to tell now that these are different levels. One question... the exclusionary path, does it come out UNDER the ledge or at the same height? Since it is darker in color, it appears that it goes under the ledge and that the exit is down in the dark area below the ledge. If that is not the case, I would suggest making the path the same color as your main floors.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Very nice... while I would go darker in some places, it is VERY easy to tell now that these are different levels. One question... the exclusionary path, does it come out UNDER the ledge or at the same height? Since it is darker in color, it appears that it goes under the ledge and that the exit is down in the dark area below the ledge. If that is not the case, I would suggest making the path the same color as your main floors.
    Thanks, yeah I have been steadily looking it over and adding more and more depth where it seems to be lacking or needing it. I do have to again say thanks, that was all you

The path is hidden by an illusion but I think I need to shorten that up to just the entry way, I didn't see what you were saying until you said it.

That looks very nice.. Repped

eViLe_eAgLe: Thanks

Next little project in all this, or should I say goal is the ability for this to work as sections to create a much larger map to explore. So I created an 8x8 that exists using 2 of the sections already created.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 5 WIP1.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	37665

This new section fits between these 2 sections

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 3 WIP2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	37666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 5 WIP1.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	37665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 2 WIP2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	37667

(Lets hope all this web stuff properly works)

for the river, I would suggest either a) reduce the opacity (using a layer mask) where it abuts the floor IF the water is the same level as the floor at it's edge or b) add shadows and a hard edge to the floor to indicate that the water is below floor level.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    for the river, I would suggest either a) reduce the opacity (using a layer mask) where it abuts the floor IF the water is the same level as the floor at it's edge or b) add shadows and a hard edge to the floor to indicate that the water is below floor level.
    While not hard, was creating a kind of shoreline/bank with the shadow and browns but after you brought that up I clearly see I did nothing with the water to reflect that it was a soft shoreline rather then a hard edge. Indeed something to work on, I also noticed I need to be a bit more consistent with how I do the outer shadow of the rock walls, started getting a bit heavy.

Took your advice and this is what I came up with, in this effort I am trying to soften the edges of the shoreline/banks. I didn't notice it until you brought it up but have to admit looks much better softened. While not in this case I also can see some times when the water edge will need a hard dark line but I think each instance will be a case by case basis depending on what I am striving for there. I also took note to not be so heavy on the external shadowing of the rocks.

Thanks again

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 6 WIP1.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	37673

After all these maps, I can smell a tutorial coming.. *laughs*

Yep.. water parts look quite a bit better.... I will say that for "me" NOT having either a bevel or gradient dark->transparent shadow on the "floor" make it appear as if the lighter parts are above the dark parts. this is just something that the mind does (in many people anyway) automatically which is why the making a "hard" demarcation with a dark->transparent "pattern"works so well to indicate "lower" in height transitions.

Anyway.. these are very nice textures you are using.. I really like the floor texture.. where did you get it from or did you make it?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

That added a lot to your water and I dig how you seperated the different ground layers of the cave - nice shading.

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

I played with the bevel a bit and really did not like what I was seeing for results so I went instead with the gradient method, still not sure if this doesn't do much more then what I was doing just perhaps on a bit more consistent basis but for walls maybe that is what is needed. Still are still a few places of course for hand touch up where the blur didn't quite cover however wanted to get a feel for if this is what you were meaning. Not sure if I understood.. *laughs*

Moe: Thanks

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 6 WIP2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	37678

Textures: They were free ones I grabbed I think or I took the picture and then darkened or lightened based on what I desired for these maps. I can dig them up and post if you desire.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast