Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Underground Maps

Yes.. that is much better IMHO. I understand about the bevel... it really depends on the map and how you plan to use it. For something like this which I assume is going to be a partial or full geomorph, using a bevel makes it "impossible" to turn to any orientation and look right. Typically, though, I would us a bevel for structures(castle interior walls) some times and "inner glow"/shadow type thingy other times.

One final thing you might want to think about as you are doing the elevation in future revisions, in order to really sell drastically different elevations on the same map, you would want to go darker on at the base for the one with the most height. In this case, 10/15 is not that big a change enough to warrant it, but one at 10 and one at 30 would(and I would even go to 20 being cause for additional darkening).
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Yes.. that is much better IMHO. I understand about the bevel... it really depends on the map and how you plan to use it. For something like this which I assume is going to be a partial or full geomorph, using a bevel makes it "impossible" to turn to any orientation and look right. Typically, though, I would us a bevel for structures(castle interior walls) some times and "inner glow"/shadow type thingy other times.
    Yeah, I came to that same conclusion that on some maps the bevel/glows would be perfect to use, just not in this case is all. Good example is like when I start learning to do towns and such as you pointed out structures.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    One final thing you might want to think about as you are doing the elevation in future revisions, in order to really sell drastically different elevations on the same map, you would want to go darker on at the base for the one with the most height. In this case, 10/15 is not that big a change enough to warrant it, but one at 10 and one at 30 would(and I would even go to 20 being cause for additional darkening).
    I had this same exact thought yesterday when doing the map and had several different elevation changes and considered perhaps coming up with some kind of standard for myself as to the size of the stroke and GBlur to give a better foundation as to the change. For now I figured when I sit down and write this process out I will make a note of it.

You have been tons of help, really appreciate it

Decided to put a bunch of things together (skill and learning wise) and create a more usable map for an underground game. I also wanted to learn/figure out/experiment with doing water completely by hand. Up until this point I have just been using the gradient tool and warping it into the shape I desired but on more complicated water ways this would not always work, so had to figure out at some point how to do it by hand.

This map is much bigger then previous maps so keep in mind this is very much a work in progress, still have some work to do but all comments and suggestions welcome as I am clearly still learning. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Underdark (13x17) Complex 1 WIP2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	37715
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Underdark (13x17) Complex 1 WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	37714  
    Last edited by Vascant; 08-11-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Wrong Map

Wip

Got a bit done and figured would post a WIP before I start back on the water. I like the water but really could use some personality as someone pointed out to me (and I agree).

Name:	Base Underdark (12x16) Complex 1 WIP4.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	37727

As usual, comments always welcome and thanks

I enjoyed doing this map a lot and how it turned out.

Name:	Base Underdark (12x16) Complex 1 WIP6.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	37747

When I am doing a map I have a habit of mentally thinking how I can use it or the different uses it could have, I realized while doing this map that if it just had lava instead of water it would be a perfect map for a red dragon lair or really any fire based creatures. So, decided to give it a try and see how it would come out.

Name:	Base Underdark (12x16) Complex 1 WIP6 (Lava).jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	37748

All comments are welcome

Next map: I have a slave market on my wall I did in graph paper, never got around to really doing it thought. Time to replace that graph paper with some color.
    Last edited by Vascant; 12-22-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Abaxtur Slave Market

Can't think of a campaign or setting that at some point doesn't have some kind of seedy market place but for some reason there is never a map. So while learning to make maps why not see if I can't provide a little something to answer that need.

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Abaxtur Slave Market WIP2.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	37828
    Last edited by Vascant; 12-22-2011 at 07:58 AM.

About a month ago I started mapping out panels for a vast underground campaign, when completed I fully expect to have well over 40 panels that tile together. I figure it was time to share some of my mapping love again in the thread here with a same piece of the first 4 panels that have been released and the 2 up coming releases (I release a new panel every Friday).

Eventually I am going to reach selected locations where some of my map challenge entries will be placed in addition to other things like the slave market.

Thanks and Enjoy

Name:	ComplexMainMap.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	38707

Guess should of pointed out, if you wish to download any of the panels they are at http://www.rpgattitude.com. No need to be a member or anything, they are free to download.
    Last edited by Vascant; 12-22-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

these look great and look forward to finding a way to use them

Been a while since I posted here so thought I would update the thread. I just recently finished what I call Campaign Map #2, you can download each map panel separately on my website.

Link: Maps of an Uncharted World

Name:	Underground Campaign Map 2.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	40507

I also took a moment and put both Campaign Maps together in a single map just to get a feel for how things were going...

Name:	CM 1_2.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	40508

Thanks and hope you enjoy, as always comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Vascant; 12-22-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Progress Update:
    The map is getting fairly big now, had a little problem uploading the full image yesterday so did a smaller image instead. You can download the full image on my site if you desire it as well as each of the map panels.

Name:	cm_complete_small.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	41721

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast