Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slow loading

Yeah, I'm up to nearly a minute on the main page, and around twenty seconds for forum pages. Gets annoying after a while
    -Sigurd Sigurd Brutus Motor-

Blog Entries

Look at whos online. 10 members 100+ guests. Look at the list and the Baidu spider dominates. Can we limit the number of Baidu connections. Its not like we have a plethora of Chinese members. Probably less than 1% of members are Chinese and its taking probably half the bandwidth.

If it were me, id just dump the Baidu spider altogether. In fact, if I could, I would limit it to 10 spiders of any type on a first come first serve basis and 403 the rest.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The host is a VPS, and the database is shared... and we can't do much diagnostics. The price of a dedicated sql is quite high for the size we have

I've been adding some of the obvious indices to try and speed up the sql server...

EDIT - though I came in today the first time in a few days and was loading the front page in under 3 seconds....

-Rob A>
    How big is the SQL database?

MySQL and Postgres are free and scale quite well.

It's really bad again today... :-(

Last night/early this morning around 1am or so Arizona time I couldn't get on at all. I guess either we were down for maintenance or something between me and the site was completely out?

I was so relieved when I was able to get in just now. For a moment there I thought, "OH NOOOOOO!"
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yesterday Arcana altered some of the cache settings which caused a large portion of the site cache to be rebuilt. That probably explains yesterday's problems, but it should be much better today. How's it looking to everyone? I know my load times seem quicker today.

We are also on a trial on a dedicated mysql server, so some of yesterday's performance issues were related to transferring the database.... all 1.6GB of it...while leaving the site up.

-RobA>

Blog Entries

Today seems MUCH better than usual.

Blog Entries

PS: if it's mysql, what table types are you using? This may be too obvious, so my apologies in advance, but if you have MyISAM check carefully what they are used for, because MyISAM only does table locking. I have seen this myself in one situation, if you have say a session table that constantly gets updated, and it's myisam, you'll kill your site with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    PS: if it's mysql, what table types are you using? This may be too obvious, so my apologies in advance, but if you have MyISAM check carefully what they are used for, because MyISAM only does table locking. I have seen this myself in one situation, if you have say a session table that constantly gets updated, and it's myisam, you'll kill your site with that.
    We are using InnoDB tables where possible to deal with this, though it is an overhead trade-off.

-Rob A>

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just found something weird...the vb_cache table was 1.2 Gigabytes in size...just for the table...

So I cleared the cache and it dropped down to 300K...Home page load times should be significantly faster now, because there was a cache query that took 3 minutes to load.

Also, I think we're goign to look into keeping it MyIsam and going with a Sphinx solution...I've read good reviews...more info to come.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast