Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name Change Over Time

Guild Novice

To automaticly apply sound changes, I propose the SCA, a sub-site of zompist.com. (sca2 - sound change applier)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Maezar's Avatar

Perhaps my favorite single example of name change by accretion is Torpenhow Hill, which literally means Hill Hill Hill Hill. Each successive simply added their own word to the thing.

I belive you may be looking for a portuguese/spanish-english dictionary. those languages were basicaly formed by a combination of greek and latin with a long time 'deterioration' and influence of the cultures they scame in touch around the world (mostly english and french, but brazilian portuguese have influences of native americans and the languages of the many countryies the slaves were brought from)

luckly I happen to have a list of greek and latin prefixs that are used in brazilian portuguese saved on my favs tab, so I'm posting it here to make your work faster... well, not that looking up on wikipedia would take too long though.

Anexo:Lista de prefixos e radicais gregos e latinos ? Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre
    you may need to translate the portuguese parts on google

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

resurrecting this, i know, but...
    In my studies, most names kindof evolve in strange ways that can actually be fairly predictable. Like (using my own world as an example); Sea King's Port may one day become Sea Kingsport, then later Seekingport (or maybe even Sinkingport). Meanwhile, Breed's Keep was built over the ruins of an ancient city called Go'rash. Go'rash meant golden plain in an ancient language that no one recalls, and the new city was founded by a half-orc. Then there's Helvet, which began life as a barbarian village named Hel fuet, but was eventually settled as well by a culture that couldnt reliably pronounce the barbaric language. Hel fuet became helfuit, and helvut, before finally resting at helvet.

And now where it gets strange... I settle a town named Silbrton, after myself. it straddles a river, has a fording place, and is surrounded by soft hills that take to crops well. But someone down the line decides that maybe im not worthy of having the town named after me, so the council agrees to name it riverford... except riverford is just down the road and our city cant be "new" riverford because its older... so instead they decide on riverton... but the citizens speak a different language now, so it becomes, say, riovillea. Now, later it gets conquered and the history squashed and the new rulers name it Rivella since they cant pronounce its name. After a few hundred years, the citizens get their autonomy back and rename it to its "TRUE NAME"... Silver Town.
    so yeah... to me, seems evolving the name is just a matter of having an idea of what the local (for that specific place) history is. if you can follow and explain that, you can make Elf Hollow become Orcstone eventually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12