Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusTay View Post
    On pg.10 of the tutorial, at the very bottom of the first column of text (after figure 26), you say "Add the Rivers Mask layer mask to the Arctic layer." In the next step you have us adding a black layer mask to the 2 desert layers and the arctic layer. You can't add a mask to a layer that already has a mask (at least, its not letting me do so with GIMP 2.8 ).

What am I supposed to do at this point?

Also, are we supposed to just leave all the channels 'on' all the time? They are not applied to anything unless associated with a layer, correct?

Thanks again.

EDIT: P.S. - It was gradient issue... plus a couple of other things (like my map being over-all too dark). I had to REALLY finagle the gradients to get them to work with the extremely dark palette, but I think it came out okay.
    Hey sorry for not getting back to you on this Markus I just checked in on the tutorial here and saw that I had missed a string of your questions (thanks to everyone else out there who was much more helpful than I was).

As to your first question, that was an oversight on my part (I'll have to amend the tutorial). You'll have to "apply" the layer mask on the arctic layer (and any other previous climate areas) before adding a new layer mask.

As to the channels, no, you'll want to hide these. Keeping unhidden may be part of the reason your map is so dark. The purpose of the channels is twofold, for use as layer maps and for use as a selection device. Other than that they should remain hidden. Anyway I'll be gone for much of the weekend but if you have any further questions I'll try to respond to them early next week.

Cheers,
    -arsheesh

Thanks for the quick response - that was a big help.

Hopefully when I have something respectable I'll create my own thread. If nothing else, this has been one hell of a learning experience.

Edit: One more quick question, for whoever is good with GIMP - when I turn off the layer masks under the channels, does that turn them off in whatever layers I've attached them two, or did the program make a copy of them for that purpose?

Thanks again, everyone.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 02-28-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusTay View Post
    Thanks for the quick response - that was a big help.

Hopefully when I have something respectable I'll create my own thread. If nothing else, this has been one hell of a learning experience.

Edit: One more quick question, for whoever is good with GIMP - when I turn off the layer masks under the channels, does that turn them off in whatever layers I've attached them two, or did the program make a copy of them for that purpose?

Thanks again, everyone.
    To answer your question, no, it does not. The layer masks attached to each layer are not affected by whether any particular channel is on or not.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the answer. I got some really nice results, and once I obtain permission from the setting's owner (its a commission) I will start my own thread.

One thing thing though that I had to work my way through - when creating the Land Bumps and Mountain Bumps layer I ran into problems, and after a few tries I realized your written instructions do not match the 'codified' text highlighted in pink (the order is different), which gives very different results. Once I simply followed the order in the highlighted text everything worked out fine.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Another amazing tutorial, thank you!

I am dazzled with the fast and amazing results that I could achieve with this tutorial. My father also loved this technique. He like maps a lot, but he don't draw.

Here are the results:

"A ilha de Wilbur" = "The Isle of Wilbur". I named it that way in honor of this amazing software.

Very nice work on this one JefBT! The oceans turned out very nicely as well. Glad to here you found the tutorials useful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you, Arsheesh. I'm having a lot of fun with this new software (and technique)

Yes, I forgot to thank you as well. THANK YOU.

Its still a WIP (because the setting is being tweaked as we go along), but you can see it here -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	044f500ce03f22e21c949f1130388731-d7e2ix4.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	63153

Its a flat world, BTW, a'la Discworld, which is why the map is surrounded by a ring of mountains.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 04-13-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Your welcome Markus . That turned out nicely. Wonderful job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice job, MarkusTay.

I always imagine a disc world surrounded by waterfalls to the "nothing", but mountains are very nice.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast