Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Blog Entries

gimp 2.8.18
    is a VERY different tool under the hood than 2.4 or 2.6 WERE

a near 100% NEW software rewrite using GEGL instead of the " Gimp Tool Kit" (GTK )

you do NOT select

you use the sliders right there in front of you on the toolbox
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    gimp 2.8.18
    is a VERY different tool under the hood than 2.4 or 2.6 WERE

a near 100% NEW software rewrite using GEGL instead of the " Gimp Tool Kit" (GTK )

you do NOT select

you use the sliders right there in front of you on the toolbox
    Huh? What do you mean?

I finally got it finished, some parts were painful particuaraly the mountain airbrushing and incise flow. I'm pleased with it though.

Hey arsheesh

I have been trying this tut receantly but have encounter a problem. When i want to select rivers in Gimp (after importing png from wilbur) I can not do that perfectly. I mean, i have to play more with the treshold of magic wand (because 15 dosent work nicely). But whatever i pick i can never select ALL rivers. I guess the problem is that they are all different grey. Also all rivers are 1-pixel wide. Is it important to grab WHOLE length of river, or just part of them ?

Thanks

BTW. I stopped on the rivers now, but so far, very nice tut, and i have so much fun working with Wilbur (like a kid playing with new toy, haha)
    Last edited by Voolf; 03-31-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Help

Hiya! Sorry to respond to an old thread but it still seems decently alive. So far this has been a pretty amazing tutorial, but I've gotten stuck on a part. when I try the color curve for the mountains layer, nothing happens. I'm not sure if I messed up somewhere with my layers but you've got me on this one. (could just be my art skills aren't that great) I'm pretty sure I've done well at following all the prior instructions, just not sure why this isn't correct. (doesn't show the mountainy outline in the color line menu either as you can see). the mountains layer is transparent with mountains posted in, and it was selected before I used the color line tool, just for reference. (also, tips on how it's going so far are welcome)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	97556

Thanks, Arsheesh, for the tutorial. As soon as I'm allowed to I will check it out. I hope it won't take so long 'cause I'm literally like a cat on hot bricks. xD

Default Interersting

Definitely going to try this now! Thank you!

Praise My first ever map!

Hey there! Thanks for this wonderful tutorial. It allowed me to make my first ever map.
    Here it is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prototype map.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	104175
    I know it's not the best map in the world, but it's my first nonetheless (consoling myself)
    I wanted to make it look like the map of a much smaller area, so I tried to make the rivers appear bigger (wider). That made it a whole lot uglier.
    Also, I put in way too many rivers (over-did it).
    Also, the mountains could have been bigger and at the top, what looks like a frozen lake - I wanted that to be a crater.
    But, hey, I managed to pull something off (again consoling myself).
    Anyway, thanks a bunch for the tutorial and thought you guys should be the first to see my first map in the long list of upcoming ones.
    Take care and see you all soon.

Sorry for the very late reply everyone, my participation here at the Guild has dwindled over the last couple of years due to increased responsibilities at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Hey arsheesh

I have been trying this tut receantly but have encounter a problem. When i want to select rivers in Gimp (after importing png from wilbur) I can not do that perfectly. I mean, i have to play more with the treshold of magic wand (because 15 dosent work nicely). But whatever i pick i can never select ALL rivers. I guess the problem is that they are all different grey. Also all rivers are 1-pixel wide. Is it important to grab WHOLE length of river, or just part of them ?

Thanks

BTW. I stopped on the rivers now, but so far, very nice tut, and i have so much fun working with Wilbur (like a kid playing with new toy, haha)
    Hi Voolf, yes, you've correctly identified the issue. I was never really satisfied with this technique either due to the issues you raise. Waldronate once suggested a different method to me. In Wilbur you can use the River Flow filter (Texture > Other Maps > River Flow) to isolate just the rivers onto their own height map. On the pop-up menu that appears check the box for use solid background color (which should be black by default). The image should now be black except for your rivers. Now change the color of "River Mouth" to white and the color of the "River Source" to a mid grey tone (you can also play around with the sliders till you get the amount of river branching you desire); this will give you a nice gradient that can be used in the next step. Next go ahead and export this as a .png file and then open this as a new image in GIMP. Next, on your GIMP map file create a new "Rivers" layer (above your previous layers) and fill the entire layer with the color you wish your rivers to be. Following this, create a layer mask for this new layer. Now go ahead and copy the B&W river height map you just opened and paste it into the layer mask of your newly created Rivers layer. That's it; you should now have colored rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyWolfie View Post
    Hiya! Sorry to respond to an old thread but it still seems decently alive. So far this has been a pretty amazing tutorial, but I've gotten stuck on a part. when I try the color curve for the mountains layer, nothing happens. I'm not sure if I messed up somewhere with my layers but you've got me on this one. (could just be my art skills aren't that great) I'm pretty sure I've done well at following all the prior instructions, just not sure why this isn't correct. (doesn't show the mountainy outline in the color line menu either as you can see). the mountains layer is transparent with mountains posted in, and it was selected before I used the color line tool, just for reference. (also, tips on how it's going so far are welcome)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	97556
    Huh, that is very odd indeed. I'm trying to think of what might caused this, but I'm coming up empty here. So long as that layer was selected the curves should be operating on that layer. I'm sorry to not be of much help to you here but I just dunno what the trouble is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibyo Dutta View Post
    Hey there! Thanks for this wonderful tutorial. It allowed me to make my first ever map.
    Here it is:

Name:	Prototype map.jpg 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	104175
    I know it's not the best map in the world, but it's my first nonetheless (consoling myself)
    I wanted to make it look like the map of a much smaller area, so I tried to make the rivers appear bigger (wider). That made it a whole lot uglier.
    Also, I put in way too many rivers (over-did it).
    Also, the mountains could have been bigger and at the top, what looks like a frozen lake - I wanted that to be a crater.
    But, hey, I managed to pull something off (again consoling myself).
    Anyway, thanks a bunch for the tutorial and thought you guys should be the first to see my first map in the long list of upcoming ones.
    Take care and see you all soon.
    Hey that's pretty good for a first effort! You've pointed out some areas that could be improved, but that all comes with practice. The more you play with the technique the more you'll develop a knack for this sort of stuff. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey Arsheesh, what a brilliant tutorial. I have just worked through it in a couple of hours and came up with this:

Name:	eriond tutorial.png 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	105348

Not pefect by any means, but I'll definitely take it - it's an order of magnitude better than any of my previous attempts.

Have some rep!

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast