Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Hi Caenwyr, I'm glad to here my tutorial was helpful to you. I like the colors of your map, they really blend together nicely. I wonder if the mountains might be a little washed out with all that white, but then if you really want to give the impression of alpine glaciers I can understand the decision to allow so much white. Overall this looks really nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected daeVArt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow, Just curious, is there any Photo shop translation on this tutorial? i really like the color theme... really suite the color that i really wanted for my World wide map. well, better learn GIMP then ^^... will upload the result when I start make the map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

@ daeVArt, if you are comfortable with PS I would suggest trying the tut out in PS instead of trying to learn Gimp. Most of the techniques are simular in both programs and all it realy takes is learning what the commands used in one are called in the other. Make notes as you go through the trial and error and you should start to understand what strengths and weeknesses each may have. And learn the workarounds for your prog. Which is helpful because there are LOTS of tuts for Gimp that can be used with PS and vis versa.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

@ daeVArt - I haven't used PS and so did not do a conversion guide for PS for this tut. However, Korash is right, most of the techniques discussed in this tutorial are also available in PS (in fact the gradient map is actually better in PS since PS offers a preview window that allows you to visually adjust the colors before applying them. The only thing that might be different are the sort of cloud patterns used for the height map. I'm not sure if PS will generate similar cloud patterns or not. If you do try it out in PS I'd be curious to see how similar the result ends up being.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected daeVArt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@korash... Ah right... I'll try to apply the technique with PS then ^^
    @arsheesh okay, i'll make one with PS, will Upload the result soon

Guild Member Facebook Connected BISHDP's Avatar

First off, Thank you for such a good tutorial. I am running into one problem though. My mountains look very weak and low. I seem to be unable to get the degree of peaks that you show. Is there a trick to this or some advice you could give me to improve the quality of my mountains?

Hi BISHDP if you have an image of what you are talking about I'd be happy to look it over and make suggestions for you. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to do so until early next week (Monday or thereabouts) as I will be giving a paper at a conference this weekend and need to keep focused on preparing for it. But post up an image and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	539362_10152127504120562_1917188797_n.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	48493
    Here is my first map that I did with your tutorial. I think it looks decent but the mountains don't look as high as I would like.

Hi there BISHDP, I had a quick look at the image you posted here as well as the ones you posted at your WIP thread and I do have a few tips that might help:

First about the mountains. The contrast in your height map looks about right so I'm inclined to think that perhaps there is a missing step somewhere. Did you include both the "Mountain Bumps" layer (on page 7 of the tutorial)? If not, adding this layer may help to make your mountains pop out a bit. If you have added the layer, you can always increase the opacity (which should be set to 50%) and/or duplicate this layer.

Second, about the height map. If you would like a more gradual elevation from lowlands to mountain peeks, you may want do a bit more sculpting with your height map (see page 2 of the tutorial). I've attached a larger image of what one of my height maps generally looks like once I'm finished airbrushing (BTW, this is one the most time consuming elements of the process and usually takes me several hours).

Third, I noticed that your final colored map looks somewhat grainy. This might be due to setting the Noise % in Wilbur too high. If you like the grainyness, well and good. If you want a smoother map though you may need to play around with reducing the noise settings in Wilbur. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vranos Wilbur Height Map.png 
Views:	3051 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	48518  

First off, thank you very much for you help.

I will have to try that. This map was more just a proof of concept but the one I am currently working will see the benefit of your advice. More blending and extra Mountain Bumps. Got it. Thank you again.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast