Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eriond - A Tutorial for GIMP & Wilbur

Awesome! Thanks for answering so quickly.

Guild Novice

thanks, arsheesh
    great tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by David3 View Post
    thanks, arsheesh
    great tutorial
    My pleasure, glad it is of use to you!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Really awesome tutorial Arsheesh...though I have to admit I was pulling my hair out with Wilbur, mostly trying to get rivers where I want them. Just wanted to show what I was able to do. First, I started with a CC3 map I made for some folks on G+ just for kicks. I wanted to replicate this map, but give it a more realistic feel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taming of the Eastlands 500x400 COLOR.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	486.6 KB 
ID:	54142
    Obviously, you can tell its a CC3 map a mile away.

Using your tutorial, this was what I was able to do:

Name:	TOEL2.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	54143

I'm really impressed with the results. Obviously, I'm still not done. For example, I'm going to have to manually add some rivers in the dark "blob-ish" swamp area in the south. The trouble I was having with Wilbur is that it wasn't making good rivers...it kept making these terribly short "wisps". My solution was to go back to Gimp and tone down the Land Clouds layer (reducing contrast) and doing a little more sculpting on the areas I wanted to force rivers. The only place it really didn't work was in the south swamp area, and the southeast peninsula where you can see a bit of a rut moving nw to se. Also, I probably should have spent more time beefing up my mountains, they look a little sparse and thin.

Anyway, I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to make such an incredibly detailed tutorial. Any chance we can get your techniques on labeling? LOL, that's my next step.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeprime View Post
    Really awesome tutorial Arsheesh...though I have to admit I was pulling my hair out with Wilbur, mostly trying to get rivers where I want them... The trouble I was having with Wilbur is that it wasn't making good rivers...it kept making these terribly short "wisps". My solution was to go back to Gimp and tone down the Land Clouds layer (reducing contrast) and doing a little more sculpting on the areas I wanted to force rivers. The only place it really didn't work was in the south swamp area, and the southeast peninsula where you can see a bit of a rut moving nw to se.

Anyway, I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to make such an incredibly detailed tutorial. Any chance we can get your techniques on labeling? LOL, that's my next step.
    Yeah getting rivers to correspond to a previously existing map is one of the trickiest things to do when using Wilbur. The method you described is pretty much how I handle it, but it can be very time consuming. I'm really glad that the tutorial was helpful to you, your results turned out very nicely (great work!). As to labels, it seems to me that someone here once wrote up a walk-through on this, but darned if I can find it. However I think RobA has in in one or two of his tutorials discussed how to place text on a path (to make curved text) in GIMP and in Inkscape. I've thought about creating a sort of basic 101 level "how to" that describes things such as this and how to create icons and such. However sadly my plate is full at the moment and I don't think I'll be able to do pursue this for some time.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Arsheesh, I'm trying to develop a specific technique for making cliffs using your method. I think it's working ok, but wanted to see if you've got a better technique. First my starting experimental picture.

Name:	Terrace_Test_2_GHM.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	54172

Just a succession of gray colors in the general shape of a cliff, with a difference cloud layer mixed in.

Import into wilbur and run noise, fill, and precipiton results in this

Name:	Terrace_Test_2.png 
Views:	252 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	54173

Ignore the scraggly edges...just playing around. I think it looks ok, but the hard drop off causes weird color anomalies in the gradient map, i.e. the hard green line. I think I can utilize this for my mapping project, but wanted to ping you or anyone else on a different or better technique?

Oh...forgot to add, I used both the BUMP layer and an added emboss layer, both set to overlay. Played around with the transparencies until I got the "pop" I wanted. Merged them together when I was happy with it. On hindsight I think its perhaps a little too harsh.

I think I can implement this into your tutorial flow during the blending phase. Instead of blending directly onto the LAND BUMPS layer, use a transparent layer on top to do the blending. Then, you can cut a 'hard edge' on your cliff area, with a distinct light (top of cliff) and dark (bottom of cliff) transition. I'll see if it works.
    Last edited by zukeprime; 05-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeprime View Post
    Arsheesh, I'm trying to develop a specific technique for making cliffs using your method. I think it's working ok, but wanted to see if you've got a better technique... I think I can utilize this for my mapping project, but wanted to ping you or anyone else on a different or better technique?

I think I can implement this into your tutorial flow during the blending phase. Instead of blending directly onto the LAND BUMPS layer, use a transparent layer on top to do the blending. Then, you can cut a 'hard edge' on your cliff area, with a distinct light (top of cliff) and dark (bottom of cliff) transition. I'll see if it works.
    I recently had to make a plateau in one of my maps and I used a method almost exactly similar to the one you've employed here. Just added an additional layer, rendered fractal clouds in it, used the curves function (under "Colors") to lighten the clouds, isolated the boundary areas of the plateau and deleted the rest, and then blended the edges of the plateau a bit. So yes, I think you are on the right track here. Be curious to see an update of this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thanks Arsheesh. I'm still trying to figure this out. I've redone the map about 2-3 times, trying to get it just right in Wilbur. Here's the latest iteration:

Name:	TOEL_04.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	710.6 KB 
ID:	54250

No matter how hard I try, the swamp lands in the south start looking too hand drawn. Oh well...

My mind is blown at the moment...I think I'm just going to go with it, and start putting in the towns, etc.

Well perhaps the swamp-lands look a bit hand-drawn but I don't take that to be a problem. I think the map is really coming along nicely. You are doing great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

The critical part of getting rivers where you want them with Wilbur is to have a mask with the rivers baked into it. Starting with your initial CC3 map, I made a few masks:

Name:	Coast.gif 
Views:	160 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	54252
    Coast

Name:	Rivers.gif 
Views:	163 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	54257
    Coast with waterways

Name:	Hills.gif 
Views:	176 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	54253
    Hills

Name:	Mountains.gif 
Views:	167 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	54254
    Mountains

The basic process was:
    1) Load Coast as select, add 100 to altitude, then add a mound 50 high.
    2) Load coast with waterways and add 100 to altitude.
    3) Repeat for Hills and mountains.
    4) Reload Coast as a selection to bound the erosion effects.
    5) Now add noise with a value of about 25.
    6) Fill basins and incise flow.
    7) Now 25ish rounds of precipiton erosion to smooth things out.
    A few more rounds of steps from 2 through 7 (you may want to adjust the maximum values to get slightly different effects).

Name:	ambient1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	54256
    Result
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lakes.gif 
Views:	130 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	54255  

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast