Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dungeon Maps

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    I like that fill you used for the stone.... is that from playing around with filter effects?
    Yup. I start with a pure black background (#000000). I then add a Noise filter effect (around 37% Amount; Gaussian Distribution; Monochromatic effect). That gives me the base effect. Then when I add the Ripple filter, that tones down the white of the Noise filter to give me the final look.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I've finally got around to making another layout map & dungeon map.

Here's the layout map of my last two dungeon maps:

In the above layout map, X marks the entrance from the last layout map. The red arrow leads to the following map (click to enlarge):

This map is inspired by the Bay Area line of the Tokyo Subway Line. I see the rough area that leads to Area #2 as a rough crawl space. I also see the black area of Area #29 as a permanent area of Darkness.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Does the permanent area of darkness correspond to a particular part of the Tokyo subway line?

I love your inspiration for these. Great maps.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Does the permanent area of darkness correspond to a particular part of the Tokyo subway line?
    Heh heh, not that I am aware of (not counting power outages). I wanted to fill the circular area with something I haven't used before and I came up with the idea of a sphere of darkness. Imagine walking into a large underground chamber only to see a wall of darkness ahead of you. If I was really evil, I would have put an open pit in the area where the darkness is.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan
    I love your inspiration for these. Great maps.
    Thanks torstan. I better finish up this mega-dungeon because I have to return the book back to the library next week. Then it will be time for something different.
    Cheers,
    Tim

A series of randomly placed pits would be even more evil.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

pits should never be random!!! they should immediately be placed directly in front of the nearest annoying PC!!! or... Directly under works well too

LOL! That gives me an idea... what about a room with a rotating (revolving) floor with covered pit traps. Perhaps the floor is triggered by special pressure plates that can be located throughout the dungeon). That way the PCs never know where the pits will be unless they take the precaution of marking the floor.

Hmmmm... I just had an idea for a deep dungeon level that has covered pits in the ceiling that randomly open and dump things (water, sewage, green slime, etc) onto the level (or PCs as the case may be). In this case the PCs wouldn't worry about falling into something but something falling unto them.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

You could always have a trigger that randomly 'teleports' several pits around a floor.... perhaps shifting intermittently every x amount of rounds as the move through ... perhaps... even teleporting with a previous unfortunate PC as it resets when it teleports.... providing a challenging encounter as he and his friends try to locate and retrieve him and most likely offering you the GM quite a fun evilly enjoyable time

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Remind me not to play with you guys, I always play a paladin (character flaw on my part) and the idea of falling into random pits lined with stakes makes me itchy.

Don't worry, Ascension. I'm not an Evil DM as I sound... I'm only quasi-Evil.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast