Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Castle Plans

I've expanded the ground level of the castle ruins and now have this:

I've redesigned the gates and added some arrow slits/narrow windows to the building. I've created the upper level of the fortress/mansion (not seen here). I still need to create the upper portion of the outer wall & gate. I'm also thinking of adding some rubble to the building itself. I'll probably add some terrain features as well but that will be one of the last steps I will do.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

that's a nice castle

i would hate to have to go through the front gate

here is a link for a software company that makes a program called genuine fractals it is a program/photo-shop plug-in that allows you to enlarge images

http://altamiragroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mathuwm View Post
    that's a nice castle

i would hate to have to go through the front gate
    Thanks, mathuwm. The more I look at it, the more I think the main gate should be a bit further from the main building. Hmmm... something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by mathuwm View Post
    here is a link for a software company that makes a program called genuine fractals it is a program/photo-shop plug-in that allows you to enlarge images

http://altamiragroup.com/
    Sweet! Thanks for the link! I tried to rep you for the link but I need to spread some more around before it will let me.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I have to agree- it looks great!

I have some comments on the gate area though. I'd suggest that the gate be a door-portcullis-door effect, or at least the door first. The solid wooden gate is usually on the outside.

Also, I'd expect the gate area to be rectangular with straight walls on either side. The front end can (and probably should) be curved out in a semi-circle. So essentially I'm suggesting changing the layout of the two guard towers on either side from an oval floorplan to a split circle with a rectangle in between.

Sigh. That made no sense. Here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guardhouses.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	5142

Basically it was a big development when people managed to build circular towers. I'm not sure if people ever took the next step and made elliptical ones. That of course is independent of the fact that an elliptical tower would be less stable.

Thanks for the tip about the gate, torstan. I knew what you were saying even without the diagram. I think I will end up being lazy and not change this castle's gate but I will definitely take your tip into account for future maps. Thanks.

As for the rubble... what can I say, I like adding rubble to most of my maps but I usually refrain from doing so because I don't want to over do it. If a structure (or dungeon) is suppose to be old, then it makes sense that some of it would fall into ruin. I have one set image for the rubble and I just resize, rotate, mirror it (with Transform Image/Free Transform) to get the look that I'm after.
    Cheers,
    Tim

I've did a few more tweaks and followed torstan's excellent advice and came up with this:

Basically, I've tweaked the gate towers, and switched the portcullis and the gate around. I also moved the walls to give more room at the entrance. In the extra space, I've added a well and a stable and much more rubble here & there.

Once I have set the final layout, then I will add legend numbers and descriptions. I'm also toying with the idea of adding colour but that will be after I finish doing the layout. The upper levels are next.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Here's the upper level:

The F in a circle is a trap door in the floor (for attacking intruders who get into the lower gate). Next is the top/parapet level of the outer walls.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I like it, and it might just be me, but I can tell you repeated the rubble, I wouldn't have otherwise mentioned it except that was the first thing that jumped out at me.... which detracted from the overall beauty of a nice castle (albeit ruined) keep

Try using 3 or even 4 different rubble "stamps" maybe even 2 would work as long as you kept up the fine job of scaling and rotating them. Just my opinion tho

kept getting an error when I quick posted.... cause you beat me too it ... this refers to the previous map ... and well, now that I look at it.. this one as well love that old school feel

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast