Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Bash Script: Convert RPG City Map Generator to SVG

Hey, nice work! There's a whole folder full of 'em on my hard drive if you want a few more.

Maybe I'll post some of the 3d cities I've made with this method here tomorrow...

You and I must have been thinking on the same lines. I had hoped to import the vector data into silo 3d (which is the 3d modelling program I use) but although it's wonderful at everything else, its vector import capabilities are lousy. I spent hours trying with Blender and Wings but couldn't get them to play ball either. I think part of it was the the format that Drawplus was able to export on - it was a while ago and I've forgotten the details.

OK, I've installed Wubi and I've got a dual operating system (woo hoo!) - it's kind of liberating to know that I don't have to depend on Microsoft for everything in my life!

I'm not sure what to do next? I imported your script and a sample city file from RPG generator. I double clicked your script and it opened the file as in a text editor rather than running the script. I'm sorry, I'm a real noob at this - could you talk me through what I have to do to get it all running please?

cheers!

Ravs

No problem! Well done for getting ubuntu installed...

Let me just check a few things a second...

Hit control, alt and "T" at the same time to open a terminal hopefully...

Type this into the window:

sudo apt-get update

And hit enter

(You'll probably need to type your password I guess)

When it's finished, type:

sudo apt-get install tofrodos

and hit enter, type your password, this should nstall dos2unix

Locate your sample .sgs file (you did make an .sgs file using the "city map" menu, NOT an exported bitmap I hope?) and copy it to your desktop, along with my unzipped bash script.

Hopefuly you haven't closed the terminal yet. Type this: (copy and paste to make sure you don't omit the wavy line thing)

cd ~/Desktop

and hit enter

Nearly there (phew!)...

Type this...

chmod +x RPG2SVGv3.0.sh

and hit enter

followed by this:

./RPG2SVGv3.0.sh

then hit enter. It should then give you a list of the valid .sgs files in the current directory (the desktop). Type the name it gives you (no .sgs extension), hit enter, and you're hopefully off and running!

If any of this fails, just tell me what goes wrong and I'll try and work it out...
    Last edited by GrumblingHive; 09-17-2012 at 09:40 AM.

I got so close!

All the way to the end. My .sgs city (called 'test city') was listed. I typed it in (without the .sgs) and got this error message:

./RPG2SVGv3.0.sh : line 23 [:test: binary operator expected File test city does not exist

I did use the default RPG City Creator city with walls and stuff....I could have another go later with just plain buildings and streets.

get rid of any spaces in the filename...

Also, I'm not sure if we might need to make a symlink for dos2unix in a minute...

Oh, and all you need to do now is execute the script i.e.

./RPG2SVGv3.0.sh

unless you had to reopen the terminal, in which case you might have to

cd ~/Desktop

first

Last edited by GrumblingHive; 09-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Very cool work going on here. For Ravs, just don't forget that Linux is all case sensitive on filenames - and the slashes are forward.

BTW - I want to see those 3D cities too...

lol, yeah thanks RR, I've been having fun discovering it's case sensitive and learning that spaces are important too!

GrumblingHive: Progress but not quite there....

I got rid of the space in the city name and the script ran - I go the 'quest completed' message and it produced a testcity-FIXED.svg file...but when I tried to open the SVG file there was nothing there (both in Inkscape and Drawplus). SVG attached.

:: Edit :: I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm doing something obviously stupid, but I can't work out what it is. I know in the distant past I've had this 'blank' .svg problem before and found out why but I can't remember the context.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Later, I promise...(the 3d cities, that is)

@ ravells:

can you post the output of the command

dos2unix

for me?

That file is almost blank...

Actually, can you post the output from the script? Just do

./RPG2SVGv3.0.sh > output.txt

and post output.txt (should be on desktop) here?
    Last edited by GrumblingHive; 09-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast