Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Bash Script: Convert RPG City Map Generator to SVG

Also, the actual .sgs file would be useful too...

Oh..did you run the script all the way through when you posted output.txt?

installed dos2unix and I'm rerunning the script for the city....this time the realtime updates are saying things like drawing path 01 etc and it's taking a reasonable amount of time....I think, fingers crossed we might be there. But this is software and it's always like the horror movies with software when you think your safe and then right at the very end, just when you think you are all right, the monster grabs you.....

Bingo! It works! Gosh that was pretty painless in the end! Thanks grumblinghive, this is really going to come in handy!

I can't believe how brilliant the results are!

Hooray! Try it out with all kinds of variations and see if you can make it go wrong!

Great thing, GrumblingHive! I wish there would be a Windows Version and a script for PS...
    Loading your test file into Illustrator(CS4) was no problem. I saved it as *.dxf and imported it into City Engine. The streets are imported correctly (I have to play with the scale), but the shapes of the houses are not. Let's see if we could solve this.
    Is there any chance of a script, or most appreciated a test file with houses of combined house shapes if the overlap?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iii.png 
Views:	1046 
Size:	698.9 KB 
ID:	48242

Here's a really quick render that took me about fifteen minutes work. I did make and eat some food while I did it though, so the total time was actually a lot longer...it took a fair while to produce the buildings from the splines, like an hour or something. It's from that example file that was posted earlier.
    Last edited by GrumblingHive; 09-17-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey thats cool.

A long time ago I wrote a tutorial for a technique I developed and called it "Thatching for dummies" and the link is here. The only thing this was missing was the 3D models for houses in a town/city layout but what this thread showed was that if you had a height map of a house, or several houses then it could thatch them all by creating a texture map that followed the house roofs. So the combo of your 3D town generator and this thatching script would enable you to render a thatched town. We were having some trouble in getting an auto generated town generator such that it would place houses down in a more sensible position than just random or random along side random network of streets. So this for me is an interesting development.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast