Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Bash Script: Convert RPG City Map Generator to SVG

I knew I was forgetting something! City Engine! It was this line of thought that got me to buy City Engine in the first place! Thanks Katto! I'll still need to get Illustrator though because the only other way for me imported streets but not enclosed shapes.

Edit, hey Redrobes...where there is thatch can you do roof tiles or wooden planks? Presumably these would be much easier to automatically texture to the slope of the roof?

@Grumbling: Hey that render looks really great, any chance of a more close up version? What did you use to model / render it with? Presumably as you had the vector info you didn't have to use heightmaps but worked off the vector info directly?

Blog Entries

Yes it will texture anything. The idea of the process and RobAs script was to auto rotate a direction sensitive texture to match sloping 3D height maps. So you can have tiles, slates, planks, thatch and anything like that. If you can think of a similar application not for house roofs then it might be able to do that too - like say edge of lakes with a reed bed or palisade of spikes surrounding villages etc. I did some wood tile roof textures as a demo somewhere but I cant find them in the thread now. Maybe I deleted the images or something from FTP but I still have them locally.

edit: there, added the texture for logs/planks and a couple of others I used as well. With gimp and robs script it should be able to run it.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.

For those on Windows, install cygwin and test the script from there. Depending on the actual stuff used by the script internally, you may have to add some additional "modules" from the cygwin installation(it contains literally thousands of individual libraries and programs). cygwin is (for the most part) a windows linux emulator. The OP would have to assist in making sure all of the correct stuff from cygwin is installed though...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

People who can't/won't/don't want to install linux...

Complete Cygwin package with all necessary files HERE: (It's VERY slow though...you've been warned!)

https://hotfile.com/dl/172858706/63e...G2SVG.zip.html

Click "regular download"

Install instructions HERE:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GrumblingHive; 09-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Exciting new C++ version coming soon!

Cor blimey that's better....

Crappy old Bash Version Time:

real 26m40.728s
    user 0m50.377s
    sys 3m16.754s

Super fast new c++ version time:

real 0m0.417s
    user 0m0.067s
    sys 0m0.030s

Nearly 4000X faster!

Just got a bit more fiddling to do...
    Last edited by GrumblingHive; 09-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Crikey!!!! Is the C++ version going to run on windows???
    It sure is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast