Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Castle

Your latest edit looks really nice. Maybe try shrinking the scale of the pavement?
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I think the problem is that the pavement in the sun looks so faded out and lacking of contrast and detail, while the shadows should darken the pavement without adding contrast and detail. In your examples, the pavement in the shadows appears far more sharp of an image than the pavement in the light.

Someone more skilled in Photoshop will need to suggest a technical fix, but visually, darkness should not add detail - it should remove it.

I hope that helps ... PS, great work.
    Arthur
    Last edited by atpollard; 10-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Perhaps Atpollard - I'm not so sure; I think its ok to have less detail represented by sunlight glare. In any case I have started working on the second of the courtyard maps - this is the first pass - I still have to go back and add proper shading. I will be making two of these: one external view (like this) and a second one showing the interior of the two houselike structures (one is a stables) and the central mural tower, with a staircase up the battlements.

House roofs by Aegean 2007 (Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: House, roof, tavern - variations).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CourtyardB.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	49249

Fixed shadows - reasonably happy with this one.

Name:	CourtyardB2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	49251
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WOW.... that really looks amazing. I really have to re-think my castle now. I personally like the shadows as a way of representing the flags and turrets as well.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Added a fountain and some muddy tracks in the first courtyard; and I discovered what I hate about the map! It's the gate. I need to completely redo (well, do) the gate into the complex.

Name:	Courtyard 1(c).jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	49262

Blog Entries

Again that looks great. Maybe the shadows over the water in the fountain could be a bit lighter or possibly more distorted to account for the "movement" of the water? This is really amazing and I am getting SO much inspiration from this project.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks JT. I rippled the water shadow and lightened it, and also started changing the gate. Obviously I'll have to get rid of those crenellation shadows.

Name:	Courtyard 1(d).jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	49263

Blog Entries

That looks perfect. I'm running out of adjectives to describe how much I'm enjoying this.

Finished Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

An outstanding project and I am very much looking forward to how this turns out.

I really like the idea of the shadows of the flags and turrets to give the feeling of height around the encounter area.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast