Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *WIP* Why did it have to be snakes? Aka, the Yuan-Ti temple

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

So true, I can't see anyone on HGTV saying, "Now, the reason I positioned the dresser 10 foot from the bed so you can take advantage of a flanking bonus during an encounter"

Looking good.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Of course you wouldn't!

'cause, you need at least a 15 feet line for a flanking bonus (you; your target, and your flanking ally on the other side, 5 feet for each) .

Next, I guess, will be the furniture for the lower rooms of the complex...

The lower floor with furniture added:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yuan-ti temple.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	54442

Next stop, back to the breeding cave...

Here is the breeding pool with the eggs (tyhanks again Bogie) and some light sources...

What do you guys think? I think it could use some work, but I am not sure what...

Name:	Breeding pool.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	54517

What do you guys think? I think it could use some work, but I am not sure what...
    I like it! But if you want to do more work on it, I can come up with some ideas:

- does the tile texture Bogie found you looks a bit strange here? - perhaps remove it and see what it looks like without?
    - does the colour of your grid seem to fight with the colour of your cavern floor?
    - your lighting is really great! But I'd like for it to be even stronger than you have it at the moment. Consider increasing the contrast between bright and shadowy areas on your map, which might make it look even better and more mysterious.
    - maybe you could put some shadows along the foot of your wall, to make the wall pop out a bit?

Good suggestions, as always.

I was a bit wary of increasing the darkness too much as, from my experience working on the Duergar forge, stuff that just appear "kinda dark" on my screen, are quite a bit darker on other people's. I don't know why; Maybe it is due to the change from a GIMP to a compressed PNG file...

Maybe I should twick the colour of the "mud gird" a bit...

Anyway, I deviated a bit from NAthan's original plan and made up a statue to give me something to work light and shadow effect on (looking at it again, I think I need to darken the base a bit to match the statue better)...

Name:	Breeding pool.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	54523

Simon, you don't need to make a map darker to make it more shadowy. For example, I added a layer of white and a layer of black to your map really quickly to illustrate. Now I know that other people might not like my bleached-out style, but I'm just trying to point out that shadows do not require a darker map.

Name:	Breeding pool White.png 
Views:	552 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	54525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breeding pool Black.png 
Views:	302 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	54526

Here is the black and white layer. You can just stick these two over your map (normal layer - don't do overlay or blending or anything special) for this effect (by the way the black and white maps are simply exact opposites of each other):

Name:	Breeding pool.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	341.8 KB 
ID:	54527

I like it. I might use a pale yellow layer instead of a white one though, but it seems very close to the effect I would like to achieve with much smoother light halos than I can manage.

Can you give more details as to how you achieved it? Is it just very blurry halos or did you use a mask?

I really like the effect... Thanks!

It's very easy Simon. You do each light source one by one. I used the 'make a circle shape' tool to make a big circular shape around one of the light sources, then I filled the circle with a gradient fill (white>transparent). I then used the lasso tool to remove areas I thought would be in shadow. Repeat for all four lightsources on four layers. Then merge the four layers. Then make a new black layer over this, go back to your white light layer, select all to alpha, then delete that from your black layer. Then reduce the opacity of both layers to 40%.

Interesting, I will try that tonight. Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast