Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Map in GIMP

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hey, now that looks great! I like the shelf a lot. I like the newer doors as well. The drop shadow pulls them up from the floor nicely. I think the map as-is looks pretty done actually.

I've got a few comments about the map design though - not things I think you should worry about changing now, but rather things to think about next time. The floor looks like rough dirt or stone, but the walls are cleanly dressed walls. That seems a little inconsistent. Secondly, as this is for VTT use I'd suggest doing the wall shadows differently. Many VTTs are now implementing light sources, so it looks a little strange having a directional drop shadow. Also, you then require every object placed within the map to have the same directional drop shadow. This is fine (if a little fiddly) if the objects never move - but say your players spi a table round. Then the drop shadow will be going the wrong way. It's best to use no drop shadow - or a universal outer glow - to make it versatile. However I am being a hypocrit as all my outdoor maps have NW lighting and directional shadows - because it just looks prettier. I'm happy to take the slight drop i usability for the prettiness factor.

The only other thing I'd suggest would be to grunge up the floor a bit. Get hold of some grunge brushes (a search on deviantArt for Grunge will turn up many), import them into your brushes folder in Gimp - should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<userName>\.gimp-2.4\brushes and refresh the brush palette in gimp. Now create a new layer, set the mode to burn and pick a very light pastel colour - pastel red is great for blood. Pick a grunge brush you like the look of and paint a few marks on the floor. Play about until you find something you like. It's a kobold lair after all - the floor should be a little manky.

Guild Adept

Thanks. I actually think I am going to keep the shelf. I might tinker with it a little to have similar shelves against the other walls. Then again, it has to settle down and just be my first "completed" map at some point I suppose.

I've actually built two more maps using the same style. One I tried adding some mist to, but it didn't appear to be floating all that well. The other was a test to add other stuff like tables and sleeping bags into the mix. Both came out well enough, but I can see where that predictable style is going to get dull after a while.

Good points on the drop shadow. jfrazierjr also had some problems with it, but I felt the need to follow the tutorial and learn the "hows". Now you are adding to that with the "why" and "why nots." I am also going to look around with some ideas on how to do more "finished" floors. See what I can come up with.

In a sick sort of comparison, my learning style is pretty much a layered thing, with each new piece of advice and self-taught tinkering adding up to a whole. Without the interim layers in there, I am not a completed project.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well I have to say that this one has come along nicely, so you're doing a good job.

You may a well post the other ones as WIPs. We'll all chip in with ideas on things like the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    Good points on the drop shadow. jfrazierjr also had some problems with it, but I felt the need to follow the tutorial and learn the "hows". Now you are adding to that with the "why" and "why nots." I am also going to look around with some ideas on how to do more "finished" floors. See what I can come up with.
    Another thing you can do is to create your dropshadow twice and invert the values so 8 and 8 would become -8 and -8 on the second pass. This will give you two new shadow layers all around your outerwalls. Now, back on your walls layer, select the outer wall spaces, invert, Selection->Save to Channel. Then right click on each of the drop shadow layers and apply layermask with the one you just created. That will also get rid of the floaty look, at the expense of making the shadows all "inside" your rooms. Personally, I think I like the chiseled look as my last example shows the most, but thats just me.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    However I am being a hypocrit as all my outdoor maps have NW lighting and directional shadows - because it just looks prettier. I'm happy to take the slight drop i usability for the prettiness factor.
    I agree. I don't need super realistic maps for a VTT. The whole point for me is to get something that indicates scale, area, and layout. For example, I would probably never add tables and such as move able objects in a map for Maptool. Now, if this was a consistent location and the players smashed the table and then come back weeks later, a new table would be there. I just don't feel it's worth that much(of limited) time to deal with adding the objects in Maptool when the likely hood that the players will have to interact with that same map again is pretty much nil....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hello guys,

I was wondering if you would have any guides for making maps like this one? Because its really great and doesnt seem to complicated. Anyway, the link in the first post doesnt seem to work. Thats why I'm asking here.

There was a similar post here that describes how to do it in photoshop.

Don't know if anyone has a mirror of the gimp instructions...I could probably cobble together a tutorial just from looking at the image, and looking at the xcf file.

-Rob A>

FYI the link is back up... [edit]boy, do I do things differently! [/edit]

I ran through how I would do it, taking screengrabs to possible post a tutorial later... here is my result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	910.8 KB 
ID:	5118

-Rob A>

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    There was a similar post here that describes how to do it in photoshop.

Don't know if anyone has a mirror of the gimp instructions...I could probably cobble together a tutorial just from looking at the image, and looking at the xcf file.

-Rob A>
    I suppose the OP in the other forums never got back to you? I'm not surprised since his last post was the last one in the forum.

Personally, I would like to see your take on the tutorial. [Edit: And I like what you did with the place. ]
    Last edited by nolgroth; 07-10-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast