Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arinthia - A region in the world of Skenth

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Absolutely stunning work.

Thank you guys!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Man, I dig your style. Especially the mountains. And the coastline. If I ever manage to do something similar, I'll be satisfied.

I just noticed: Is it supposed to be the "Baren" reach, or did you mean "Barren"? Baren would surely fit in with the other names, though...

Thank you, Llannagh!
    I am sure you could do something similar with enough practice I have no special gift!
    It definitely should have been Barren. A definite typo. I probably wrote "Bare Coast" first then only added the n and not a second r lol. I noticed another typo in my legend so I'll definitely need to update them
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll practice, then!

If I may ask: how did you get the "zoom" to work? Does your world map have a really high resolution and you just copied a part of it? Because that's what I'm trying to do, but that'll screw up my coastlines.

The zoom of my work? Ah, I think I may know what you're asking so I'll try to explain. If not please elaborate when you can So essentially, for this map, I took a small section of my previous world map and blew it up. I also took a previous map I made and shrunk it down to fit into this one since this is a "regional" map while the other maps are a "world" and a "local" map.
    I don't use vectors to make these maps but I used raster images. Here is an explanation of the difference. When you change the size of a raster image (so change a 500x200 pixel image to a 1000 x 400 pixel image for example) the computer has to recalculate the pixels. When you shrink an image, detail is permanently lost, and when you enlarge an image the computer tries to guess as well. Both processes are pretty destructive as far as image quality goes though the shrinking at least damages the image less obviously. When you enlarge you will especially lose a lot of sharpness.
    So when I enlarged the "zoom" section it definitely lost a lot of detail and I essentially had to recreate a lot of it to regain the lost sharpness. In other words, I only blew it up to get the right shapes and general colours but there was a lot of work involved in making it look good. Does that make sense?

Thanks for taking the time to answer so detailed. It makes sense to me.

I should have phrased my questioned better, but you answered it nonetheless! I wanted to ask "how did you manage to enlarge a particular part of your image that much without losing the detail". But since I was at work earlier, I had the time to read through this post more carefully and thus had already kind of figured out how you did it, apart from the shrinking bit.

I'm working in photoshop, and as you mentioned above, when I copy a part out of my original worldmap and fit it to the size I want it, it gets blurry. At least it's still roughly the original shape. So no way around redoing the coastlines, then. Ah well, can be fun, right?

So, thanks again and keep up the inspiring work!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

great stuff Viking, as usual

Good job.
    Last edited by ainatan; 12-31-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast